Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Let's talk trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Jim: is your Dodge a crew cab? Seems like the 204.5" wb (regular cab) is what I would get, with a 16' bed. Any advantages of a 16' bed over 14'?
    No just a regular cab. yeah you can get the longer wheelbase if you feel having the extra two feet is worth what you lose in maneuverability.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    Yeah.......but then I'd have too hire a secretary to handle all the paperwork, inspections, CDLs........a whole nuther ball of worms.
    Not really, the only thing different is you do have to have a cdl.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    I see that International was due to have the 4 x 4 option as of last fall.....have any of you seen or bought one? My problem with an International is that my drivers would need CDLs if I went that route. I've had 5 or 6 Dodges since 1998 and all served me very well.....maybe that's what I should use from now on. Sure are rough riding bastages though.
    I have a 2003 International 7400 4x4 . I like it allot ,pulls and carries a load nice. The fuel economy is almost the same as my 550 .They ride rough when empty but with a load of bees its pretty smooth.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Ah Rats.... I would buy a m2 freightliner with low pro tires,a air bag dump valve with a cut out over tires. This truck will run about 3-400,000 miles.
    Just my $.0
    I went down today and looked at your suggestion. Salesman had me look at a 26,000 GVW m2.......says I wouldn't need a cdl. Is that true???

Does anyone have any experience with the Maxxforce 7 engine in the smaller International?

Dang Trevor.....that's a big dude........

says I wouldn't need a cdl. Is that true???

U.S. DOt states 26000cgvw or less no cdl required your state may or may not require cdl and/or commercial registration.

A 26,000 GVW vehicle without a trailer does not require an Arizona CDL if it is not hauling haz-mat or more than 16 passengers. If a trailer is involved, it gets more complicated. Here are some answers from Arizona DOT:
    http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/script...gory=4&Keyword
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 09-27-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

All trucks are 26,000 gvw and less, that way all our drivers only need regular class C license.

The flatbeds that tow trailers are 26 gvw truck but are register for 35,000 gvw with CA dmv, 32,000 in Idaho, for the purpose of having total gvw of total combined max weight. As long as trailer are under 10,000 lbs they can operate with class C license.

Kieth , I like that idea of the M2 low profile, just aquired a 99 int. low profile truck with 16' bed.
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

DBack, as far as trailers are , you can get a SE plate (farm) or pull with no plate at all in Calif. The trailer is exempt from the truck, But if you pull a regular trailer with regular plates then that's a horse of a different color. good luck
    Last edited by Keith Jarrett; 09-28-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Thumbs Up Re: Let's talk trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    Nice Rig. So envious of the Swinger on the back.

Pretty ragged setup you've got there Trevor......I'll fly to Florida and take it off your hands for 5-6k as she sets CASH of course!!!!

Looked at the International Terra Star today. The 4x4 option will be available in Jan. and you can order in Oct. I've been reading on the (newer 300 HP, 660 Torq) MaxxForce 7 engine until my eyes are bleeding. The best information seems to be on the 'School bus' and 'RV' forums. The 4x2 only has a 19,500 GVW but the 4x4 option will have a 23,000+ GVW. Some of you may wonder why I'd be looking at shorter wheel base. All agriculture here is irrigated with 'head' and 'tail' water concrete ditches......can be very difficult to navigate around.

Well we have a 2004 F550. Nothing but trouble with that truck. 6 injectors, oil cooler, both heads. All that was under warranty. Then at 140k she blew. $14k later we have a reman 6.0l motor and it has been fine. Not a single problem. Ford gave us a two year unlimited mile warranty on the motor. My buddy just bought a new 6.7L and he hasnt had a single problem in 30K, *crosses fingers*. I think whatever you buy just make sure to get the extended warranty

I myself have an '01 Dodge 3500 5.9 cummins. Great engine but everything else is just flat out pathetic. The suspension, front end, interior, and brakes are all just junk. I have had a dodge pickup in the past and the same problems haunted me. Never again will I buy another Dodge.

With all due DISrespect, get the CDL, and drive a REAL truck, with a straight six, no synchros, and air brakes; not a glorified pickup.

The reliability of a real truck is alot higher.

Watch out for the newer engines. Avoid EGR(read International) . Be prepared to deal with Diesel exhaust fluid(urea), and engine derating(to 20% power?) when you run out.

Crazy Roland

Roland,
    I was shocked to see that International was sticking to the EGR until 2014. We deal with the SCR now so that's not my major concern. My concerns with going to the larger trucks have always been dealing with port/DOT, lack of 4x4 and maneuverability. That being said...I'm starting to believe you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    With all due DISrespect, get the CDL, and drive a REAL truck, with a straight six, no synchros, and air brakes; not a glorified pickup. The reliability of a real truck is alot higher.
    Well said Roland, we run three thousand hives and have never moved bees with a 350-450 or 550. I have one (1) fl-70 freightliner (5.9L motor)with a 25 ft bed, I spent a whooping $9,500 for the ole gal. I don't get it here, spend 50K and make sure you get a extended waranty??????
    said e-nuff going back under the bus good luck to all

Well I'm sure not going to try to make the case that smaller trucks can do what bigger trucks do. I would like to point out, though, that the complaints cited by many here involve the technology put under the hood and not the size of the truck. I bought a used IH, up fitted it with a 20' bed and use the heck out of it when doing certain jobs. But 90% of the time we walk right past it to jump in the ole 450 (the ole 7.3's are bullet proof) or the Dodge 5500. The IH gets about 8 to 9 mpg, the smaller trucks about 12. Never had an issue with either one of them and an 8 to 10,000 pound carrying capacity ain't exactly chicken feed. Bottom line is use what is most efficient for your operation. If you need to haul a lot of kids then by all means get yourself a "bigger bus".
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Well said Jim.

I only run 800+ hives and only do honey production. I work out of a 1/2 ton stock pickup and always have. Pulled over 70 ton of honey this year. Find the truck that works for you. The guys keep trying to talk me into a 1 ton, but I like the way the 1/2 ton works for me.

Big Grin Re: Let's talk trucks

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Bottom line is use what is most efficient for your operation.
    What a novel idea.... Who thought of that... Oh Jimmy did

My Isuzu cost me 7k. It moves 40 hives single stack. I have a boom on it going to do the swinger thing next season. It is great short turning radius and 17mhp diesel. 16 ft bed.

Going to add stake sides so I can use it for other things also. It is sure nice to be able to go to HD and pick up 4 pallets of block. Last time I was there I said I will take 4, he said 4 blocks, I said 4 pallets, And you want those delivered, I said no just load them on my truck. He had to go to the parking lot to see if my truck would handle it. I guess they get lots of people that think they can just put 500 blocks in the trunk of the Precis.

Anyway I like having that truck and my pickup for smaller jobs. Don't know why I did not get it years ago. It is kind of nice having a truck in the driveway. It doubles as a work bench half the time also. And it is a movable workbench.

Mr. Lyon is correct. Pick the right tool for the job. We are much like Ron, do not migrate, and have a 1977 Grumman(1 ton) to work the bees. It is more than adequate for that task.

I see the problems arising when the small trucks are expected to perform with the dependability of a big truck. The big trucks have had most of the bugs worked out, except those injected by the new emission laws. Parts, such as transmissions, engines, drive train, and suspension, are often shared among different brands, which helps to keep the parts costs down.

As a side note, my son and I also maintain 10 dump trucks for his mother's side of the family, mostly Macks, which haul 45,000 lbs of stone per load.

Crazy Roland

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast