Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Let's talk trucks

Specifically 350 (8000 GVW) to 550 (19,700 GVW) range. We run 8 trucks (all diesel) .... 2-350, 1-450 and 5-550. Six are Fords and two Dodge......the two newest Fords are the 6.7 "Scorpion" engine and we have blown both of them with less then 40,000. Ford is refusing to pay for the last one so I'm not too happy at the moment. What are you guys using? Pros and cons? International????

Default Re: Let's talk trucks

We have an 07 1 ton Duramax Chevy crew cab 4x4 with 100,000+ trouble free miles (best ride and best mileage by far) a 2000 F-350 4x4 7.3 with 175,000 miles (1 rebuilt manual tranny), a 2002 F-450 4x2 7.3 with 110,000 trouble free miles, a 2011 Dodge 5500 4x4 with 20,000 trouble free miles and a POS IH 4300 with just over 200,000 miles. F-550's ? I am staying away from them until Ford shows they know what they are doing with diesel engines. I priced one before buying the Dodge and couldn't see paying about 5 grand more when the Dodge had a better track record with their engines. The Dodge dosent have quite the torque or hp numbers the Ford has but it gets the job done just fine. Probably be getting another Dodge in the near future. To me the 19,500 gvw with a 192" wb and a 14' aluminum bed is the perfect size bee truck for 90% of the stuff we do. It can haul around 10,000 pounds and pull a trailer and it dosent even seem to work it that hard.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Fords are low on my list, poor quality, purchased 2006 f 450 with 133k miles, I now have new oil cooler, injectors, & is currently at the trans shop, Come to find out that we did good to get 140 k out of trans, as most die around 120k , so ford is low on list. Bill will be about $ 4500,
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

I'm just getting started here but I've been using an old 94 dodge one ton with the cummins turbo diesel( you guys probably went through these trucks already)and I really like what that truck has done for me so far.

Started w/ a 1988 Dodge 1 ton truck (flatbed) and 1987 F-150. My F-150 was the best truck for what I was doing until pollination. Then had a newer Dodge until the engine blew. Had another Dodge for a few months. Had a real problem getting fuel into the darn thing. Had to drive up onto a large chunk of wood to get fuel into it. Then a Ford F-350 for a cpl of years until fuel consumption and repairs caused me to get into a new truck, a 2005 F-450.

Thought the fuel economy would make the difference. It hasn't. Two EGR Valves and Oil Cooler, a head gasket and a new fuel tank. The tank's lining deteriorated and fouled a bank of injectors. Had been getting around 7mpg, now getting over 10 at times.

I don't hear enough good about other makes to make me want a Dodge or Chevy even w/ all the troubles I have had w/ my Ford. Maybe a small Freightliner? Maybe a Dodge. I have a friend who really likes his. He has had good fortune w/ his Dodge about the same size as my Ford.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I've even considered going back to gas (v-10). The diesel is a 8k upgrade, diesel is consistently .50 cents more a gallon, DEF, more expensive to have repaired, WAY more expensive to service and 10 x more likely to hydrolock. The estimate for this engine repair is 24k and Ford is telling me to eat it. My big fear is employees (or even myself) will stick the wrong fuel in one of the trucks the minute we start using two types of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    I've even considered going back to gas (v-10). The diesel is a 8k upgrade, diesel is consistently .50 cents more a gallon, DEF, more expensive to have repaired, WAY more expensive to service and 10 x more likely to hydrolock. The estimate for this engine repair is 24k and Ford is telling me to eat it. My big fear is employees (or even myself) will stick the wrong fuel in one of the trucks the minute we start using two types of fuel.
    I can't argue with that logic at all. I told that to the Ford salesmen trying to sell me the 550 and he laughed at me and told me I would be a fool to go gas and then made some incredible claims about mileage with the diesel which I have later learned were way off the mark. He mentioned up to 20 mpg towing and I told him that anyone that comes up with numbers like that must be mathmatically challenged. It is a myth that diesels last longer than gas engines nowadays and pretty much any issue with a diesel is going to be really, really expensive to fix. They can also be a real PITA in winter climates. Folks need to do the math on the whole fuel mileage issue, factor in how hard you will be using it and let the numbers tell them what makes the most sense. Unfortunately Dodge no longer offers a gas engine in their commercial grade C&C's.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

dbeck,
    out of warranty I assume? I had some luck going to customer services. Talk to your Dealer and get the contact number. I told the person handling my call how many Fords I have owned and how I wouild buy another. That I had had this repair, the egr and oil cooler, done already, this was the second time. Even after being out of warranty 20,000 miles Ford and the dealership doing the repair took on 2/3s of the repair bill.

Try it. It couldn't hurt. All they can do is say No.

Thanks for saying that about a gas vs deisel Ford engine. I have been wondering about the advantage/disadvantage comparison.

Jim, and too bad Ford is going to automatic transmissions in all models of heavy trucks. I like standard transmissions.

I have an '05 GMC 3500 Duramax, 12' bed; no major problems but only around 70,000 miles (one "minor" problem: fuel transfer pump, transfers fuel between tanks, quit working on way back from CA last spring (basically ran out of fuel as it was only pulling from front tank); minor rerpair but then nothing is "minor" when you're left standed in the middle of nowhere in Nevada at night). Only problem with it is it is now too small, would like something a little bigger, leaning towards a Dodge 5500 (if I ever get a honey crop again that is).

Jim: is your Dodge a crew cab? Seems like the 204.5" wb (regular cab) is what I would get, with a 16' bed. Any advantages of a 16' bed over 14'?
    Gregg Stewart

Gregg,
    Seems to me a 14'3" bed will carry 5 rows of 4way pallets, where a 16' bed would not have enough room for a 6th row.

Right, Mark. Thinking a 16' bed would allow room for fume boards or other "stuff" when pulling honey; 4 rows of honey pallets would leave a little extra room on the back.
    Gregg Stewart

Yes, it would. What about turning radius? I haul a trailer when pulling honey. Don't you?

My big fear is employees (or even myself) will stick the wrong fuel in one of the trucks the minute we start using two types of fuel.
    My partner did that with his personal truck put gas in the diesel right before we started up into the mountains. The truck started pinging and he said "what kind of fuel did I put in at the last station". "gas I think" we turned around and bee lined to his house to drain it. Then we refilled it with diesel and headed back out. Could have been bad, really bad getting stuck 30 miles in the mountains in a bee yard with a broken truck. Off topic sorry.

So I run 150 hives with an Izusu NRP/NRR 16ft and a boom. I get 17 miles to the gallon. I got it used and it goes and goes and goes. I will be pulling a swinger behind it next season (I hope). Love it and it gets the same mileage as my 3/4 ton pickup so pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Gregg,
    Seems to me a 14'3" bed will carry 5 rows of 4way pallets, where a 16' bed would not have enough room for a 6th row.
    My 16' can carry 5 rows of quad pallets with the boom and 6 with all the boom stuff off since I need to let a few inches hang over the back. But, you could double stack so I could carry 80-96 total on my Isuzu. Since it is Diesel it could handle it. If it were gas I would not even think about it.

Yes, it would. What about turning radius? I haul a trailer when pulling honey. Don't you?
    And I can turn it around in my driveway. My sons girlfriend can even turn her little car around in the driveway. It aways amazes me how tight of a turn Isuzu's make.

Yes. Know it would be an issue compared to my little 1 ton. Friend of mine has a F-450 with a 16' bed; took it to CA one year; really had to adjust to the turning radius with that thing (takes about a city block to turn around), just about took out some pallets in the holding yard a couple of times.
    Gregg Stewart

I have a 2004 Dodge 2500. I must say, the Cummins is top notch, everything else on the truck is bottom of the barrel. Transmission has always leaked, even after three dealer "fixes", lots of electrical problems, dash split in four places.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    If it were gas I would not even think about it.

Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by mulesii View Post
    I have a 2004 Dodge 2500. I must say, the Cummins is top notch, everything else on the truck is bottom of the barrel. Transmission has always leaked, even after three dealer "fixes", lots of electrical problems, dash split in four places.
    my father has a 2002 f250 4x4 powerstroke 7.3 for sale with 200,000 miles gets 19 mpg great work truck lariet pkg extend cab one owner all hwy miles

$13500 C.D.kimbrell 256/232/0798

dbeck,
    out of warranty I assume? I had some luck going to customer services. Talk to your Dealer and get the contact number. I told the person handling my call how many Fords I have owned and how I wouild buy another. That I had had this repair, the egr and oil cooler, done already, this was the second time. Even after being out of warranty 20,000 miles Ford and the dealership doing the repair took on 2/3s of the repair bill.

Try it. It couldn't hurt. All they can do is say No.
    It is still under warranty. I've done everything you suggested including meeting with the owner of the dealership.....the case was 'elevated' in 'customer service' three times but they refused to send a second inspector out. My understanding is that once a first inspector makes a ruling.....it is never overturned. Now it's an insurance claim and let them fight with Ford.

I see that International was due to have the 4 x 4 option as of last fall.....have any of you seen or bought one? My problem with an International is that my drivers would need CDLs if I went that route. I've had 5 or 6 Dodges since 1998 and all served me very well.....maybe that's what I should use from now on. Sure are rough riding bastages though.

Specifically 350 (8000 GVW) to 550 (19,700 GVW) range.
    Ah Rats.... I would buy a m2 freightliner with low pro tires,a air bag dump valve with a cut out over tires. This truck will run about 3-400,000 miles.
    Just my $.0
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Yeah.......but then I'd have too hire a secretary to handle all the paperwork, inspections, CDLs........a whole nuther ball of worms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast