Hybrid View

Default Let's talk trucks

Specifically 350 (8000 GVW) to 550 (19,700 GVW) range. We run 8 trucks (all diesel) .... 2-350, 1-450 and 5-550. Six are Fords and two Dodge......the two newest Fords are the 6.7 "Scorpion" engine and we have blown both of them with less then 40,000. Ford is refusing to pay for the last one so I'm not too happy at the moment. What are you guys using? Pros and cons? International????

Default Re: Let's talk trucks

We have an 07 1 ton Duramax Chevy crew cab 4x4 with 100,000+ trouble free miles (best ride and best mileage by far) a 2000 F-350 4x4 7.3 with 175,000 miles (1 rebuilt manual tranny), a 2002 F-450 4x2 7.3 with 110,000 trouble free miles, a 2011 Dodge 5500 4x4 with 20,000 trouble free miles and a POS IH 4300 with just over 200,000 miles. F-550's ? I am staying away from them until Ford shows they know what they are doing with diesel engines. I priced one before buying the Dodge and couldn't see paying about 5 grand more when the Dodge had a better track record with their engines. The Dodge dosent have quite the torque or hp numbers the Ford has but it gets the job done just fine. Probably be getting another Dodge in the near future. To me the 19,500 gvw with a 192" wb and a 14' aluminum bed is the perfect size bee truck for 90% of the stuff we do. It can haul around 10,000 pounds and pull a trailer and it dosent even seem to work it that hard.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Fords are low on my list, poor quality, purchased 2006 f 450 with 133k miles, I now have new oil cooler, injectors, & is currently at the trans shop, Come to find out that we did good to get 140 k out of trans, as most die around 120k , so ford is low on list. Bill will be about $ 4500,
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

I'm just getting started here but I've been using an old 94 dodge one ton with the cummins turbo diesel( you guys probably went through these trucks already)and I really like what that truck has done for me so far.

Started w/ a 1988 Dodge 1 ton truck (flatbed) and 1987 F-150. My F-150 was the best truck for what I was doing until pollination. Then had a newer Dodge until the engine blew. Had another Dodge for a few months. Had a real problem getting fuel into the darn thing. Had to drive up onto a large chunk of wood to get fuel into it. Then a Ford F-350 for a cpl of years until fuel consumption and repairs caused me to get into a new truck, a 2005 F-450.

Thought the fuel economy would make the difference. It hasn't. Two EGR Valves and Oil Cooler, a head gasket and a new fuel tank. The tank's lining deteriorated and fouled a bank of injectors. Had been getting around 7mpg, now getting over 10 at times.

I don't hear enough good about other makes to make me want a Dodge or Chevy even w/ all the troubles I have had w/ my Ford. Maybe a small Freightliner? Maybe a Dodge. I have a friend who really likes his. He has had good fortune w/ his Dodge about the same size as my Ford.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I've even considered going back to gas (v-10). The diesel is a 8k upgrade, diesel is consistently .50 cents more a gallon, DEF, more expensive to have repaired, WAY more expensive to service and 10 x more likely to hydrolock. The estimate for this engine repair is 24k and Ford is telling me to eat it. My big fear is employees (or even myself) will stick the wrong fuel in one of the trucks the minute we start using two types of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    Specifically 350 (8000 GVW) to 550 (19,700 GVW) range.
    Ah Rats.... I would buy a m2 freightliner with low pro tires,a air bag dump valve with a cut out over tires. This truck will run about 3-400,000 miles.
    Just my $.0
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Yeah.......but then I'd have too hire a secretary to handle all the paperwork, inspections, CDLs........a whole nuther ball of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    Yeah.......but then I'd have too hire a secretary to handle all the paperwork, inspections, CDLs........a whole nuther ball of worms.
    Not really, the only thing different is you do have to have a cdl.

Well we have a 2004 F550. Nothing but trouble with that truck. 6 injectors, oil cooler, both heads. All that was under warranty. Then at 140k she blew. $14k later we have a reman 6.0l motor and it has been fine. Not a single problem. Ford gave us a two year unlimited mile warranty on the motor. My buddy just bought a new 6.7L and he hasnt had a single problem in 30K, *crosses fingers*. I think whatever you buy just make sure to get the extended warranty

I myself have an '01 Dodge 3500 5.9 cummins. Great engine but everything else is just flat out pathetic. The suspension, front end, interior, and brakes are all just junk. I have had a dodge pickup in the past and the same problems haunted me. Never again will I buy another Dodge.

With all due DISrespect, get the CDL, and drive a REAL truck, with a straight six, no synchros, and air brakes; not a glorified pickup.

The reliability of a real truck is alot higher.

Watch out for the newer engines. Avoid EGR(read International) . Be prepared to deal with Diesel exhaust fluid(urea), and engine derating(to 20% power?) when you run out.

Crazy Roland

Roland,
    I was shocked to see that International was sticking to the EGR until 2014. We deal with the SCR now so that's not my major concern. My concerns with going to the larger trucks have always been dealing with port/DOT, lack of 4x4 and maneuverability. That being said...I'm starting to believe you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    With all due DISrespect, get the CDL, and drive a REAL truck, with a straight six, no synchros, and air brakes; not a glorified pickup. The reliability of a real truck is alot higher.
    Well said Roland, we run three thousand hives and have never moved bees with a 350-450 or 550. I have one (1) fl-70 freightliner (5.9L motor)with a 25 ft bed, I spent a whooping $9,500 for the ole gal. I don't get it here, spend 50K and make sure you get a extended waranty??????
    said e-nuff going back under the bus good luck to all

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Ah Rats.... I would buy a m2 freightliner with low pro tires,a air bag dump valve with a cut out over tires. This truck will run about 3-400,000 miles.
    Just my $.0
    I went down today and looked at your suggestion. Salesman had me look at a 26,000 GVW m2.......says I wouldn't need a cdl. Is that true???

Does anyone have any experience with the Maxxforce 7 engine in the smaller International?

Dang Trevor.....that's a big dude........

says I wouldn't need a cdl. Is that true???

U.S. DOt states 26000cgvw or less no cdl required your state may or may not require cdl and/or commercial registration.

A 26,000 GVW vehicle without a trailer does not require an Arizona CDL if it is not hauling haz-mat or more than 16 passengers. If a trailer is involved, it gets more complicated. Here are some answers from Arizona DOT:
    http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/script...gory=4&Keyword
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 09-27-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

All trucks are 26,000 gvw and less, that way all our drivers only need regular class C license.

The flatbeds that tow trailers are 26 gvw truck but are register for 35,000 gvw with CA dmv, 32,000 in Idaho, for the purpose of having total gvw of total combined max weight. As long as trailer are under 10,000 lbs they can operate with class C license.

Kieth , I like that idea of the M2 low profile, just aquired a 99 int. low profile truck with 16' bed.
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA