A while ago Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia), was discussed in a thread. Until then I was completely unaware of the existence of this fascinating plant genus. Since then I have been trying to find a source of a small quantity of seed, in order to plant a few small test plots to see if the plant can be grown successfully here in my region. In reading about Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia), I found that temperatures over 95F cause the plants metabolism to go into 'overdrive' and they 'burn-out', due to this. In the mid to late 1970's, New Mexico State University worked to develop a strain that had resistance to this problem, it is called Sainfoin 'Renumex'.

I finally found a source for a small sample of Sainfoin seed, for the variety 'Shoshone', and am still working to obtain samples of other varieties. I have not yet found a source for 'Renumex' - which may be the variety that has the best chance for success, here. I plan to sow my test plots in October, so that I can give them the maximum time to become established before ambient temperatures possibly cause them metabolism problems. My goal is to find a way to establish and maintain stands of Sainfoin in Southern Arizona -- so as to possibly improve the forage situation during extra dry seasons.