Default Sainfoin, Onobrychis viciifolia

A while ago Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia), was discussed in a thread. Until then I was completely unaware of the existence of this fascinating plant genus. Since then I have been trying to find a source of a small quantity of seed, in order to plant a few small test plots to see if the plant can be grown successfully here in my region. In reading about Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia), I found that temperatures over 95F cause the plants metabolism to go into 'overdrive' and they 'burn-out', due to this. In the mid to late 1970's, New Mexico State University worked to develop a strain that had resistance to this problem, it is called Sainfoin 'Renumex'.

I finally found a source for a small sample of Sainfoin seed, for the variety 'Shoshone', and am still working to obtain samples of other varieties. I have not yet found a source for 'Renumex' - which may be the variety that has the best chance for success, here. I plan to sow my test plots in October, so that I can give them the maximum time to become established before ambient temperatures possibly cause them metabolism problems. My goal is to find a way to establish and maintain stands of Sainfoin in Southern Arizona -- so as to possibly improve the forage situation during extra dry seasons.

48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Default Re: Sainfoin, Onobrychis viciifolia

PM me. I bought some this spring.

Peter W.
    Peter W., Belgrade, MT, Elv. 4420 Zone 4a
    Sheepshank Honey, 4 yrs & 27 hives

Hello Joe, I have been reading about this Sainfoin and would love to try about an acre of it.
    Wonder if it would grow in this climate here in South Ga. Near the Fla line. Would probably
    have to plant here in the winter or late Fall.
    mayhaw12

These folks show Renumex as available in their online store:

http://greatbasinseeds.com/ecom-prod...iciifolia.html
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I just communicated with the proprietor of Great Basin Seeds. Unfortunately he informed me that presently he only has seed for the variety 'Eski' available. I will likely obtain some of this variety from them. They have a 3 pound minimum, which suites me fine. I shall endeavor to obtain as many different varieties as I can, in hopes that one or more will succeed in my area. Perhaps, my efforts may be groundwork for a strain suitable for desert growing. If nothing else, I can add it to our family bee-friendly irrigated flower garden.

I also contacted one of the scientists who produced the NMSU created variety, 'Renumex'. He informed me that Curtis and Curtis, Inc. should be able to supply this variety, they obtained exclusive rights to produce and distribute this variety from NMSU. I am awaiting a response from them, concerning availability of the 'Renumex' variety of Sainfoin.

I've also been communicating with

Glenna Minniear
    INTX Microbials, LLC
    Kentland, IN 47951
    glenna@intxllc.com

They produce inoculants for many different legumes and other plants, including Sainfoin. Since they don't have a distributor in my area, they have offered to supply my needs. Offering small quantities of inoculants, at very reasonable prices, yet much more than I should require.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-09-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

Any update on your use of sainfoin?

Hello Rweakly, No Have not been able to find any Around here local.
    Getting late to plant here. Need to get in the ground here asap, Have
    planted 100Lbs of Red clover last week.
    Mayhaw12

I tried planting a small plot, 10' x 50'. After the plants were starting their second true leaves, wild rabbits cleaned them out. Since then I started several groups in 15 gallon pots. At least I still have some plants growing, until I can build some rabbit protection around my trial plot areas.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Hello List, I have bought 25 lb sack of Sanfoin and we live here in South Georgia.
    The nights here have been in the low 40's and some nights below 32. Was hoping
    to get this Sanfoin planted here before warm weather sets in. My Red Clover is
    already about 1/2 in high. As far as I know, Sanfoin has never been planted here
    in this part of the country (South GA.) Has anybody had any experence with
    Sanfoin here in the Warm South?
    Mayhaw12