Thread: insulating nucs

Default insulating nucs

I have 8 nucs which are 5 frame double high medium boxes that I am going to try to get through winter. The clusters are smaller than I would like, only occupying one of the two boxes currently, this is due to the fact that I set up these nucs way later than I should have. Having enough food is not what is worrying me, but cluster size is. I know they will be going into winter with small clusters so I need to think about what I can do insulation wise to help them get through the winter up here. Would it be a good or bad thing to super insulate them by grouping all 8 nucs tightly together in a row and covering all exposed sides, tops and bottoms with 2" foam board, leaving holes in the foam for upper ventilation/exit? In essence, I would have a foam board box with the nucs inside. What could I use for additional moisture absorbing above the inner covers, because moisture may be an issue with them insulated like this? Looking for any input on this method or any other suggestions. John

Default Re: insulating nucs

This year I am trying 5 frame doubles also. They will be wrapped the same as I normally wrap singles or doubles except I will have 8 on a pallet, 4 facing east and 4 west.
    -Side wrap is r14 fibreglass ins. in black plastic.
    -Top pillow is r20 fibreglass ins. in plastic.
    -1/2 sheet of 3/8 or 1/4 inch plywood over top pillow and tied to pallet to protect from snow and rain.
    -Each hive has bottom entrance reduced and a notched inner cover for top entrance. Once wrapped a strip of tar paper folded in a V shape is stapled over the top entrance to block the wind yet allow flight when needed.

My winters are dry so the top entrance is all I use for moisture control.

JD, does the fibreglass insulation come already sealed in plastic or do you do it somehow? I thought about using fibreglass also but it would need to be moisture proof. John

The insulation is wrapped in a plastic "envelope" and an iron is used to melt the plastic together. Use newspaper or the waxed meat packing paper between iron and plastic when melting. I allow enough extra plastic to fold over the top pillow. Poke a few nail holes at the bottom of the side wrap to allow any water to drain.
    I remember seeing a water resistant/proof batt insulation at a hardware store demo once and will look into that next time I need to make wraps.