Default How long can comb be stored before extracting?

Should honey be extracted ASAP after the supers come off or is it acceptable to let it sit a few days?

Default Re: How long can comb be stored before extracting?

With small hive beetles everywhere it is best to get it done right away.

I am putting my frames in the freezer. Wax moths, were a problem. Also I need to have more frames before I start extracting. Is this a good idea or no.

How long is "a few days"? Used to be you could have supers of honey around for weeks with no problem, but small hive beetle changed that. Now it is recommended that harvested supers are extracted as soon as possible - within three days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
    Should honey be extracted ASAP after the supers come off or is it acceptable to let it sit a few days?
    Yes, it is done all the time.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

This question makes me wonder if capped honey can pull moisture from the air when removed from the hive? Down here where entire summers of 95% humidity are the norm we are told not to allow honey to sit in unsealed containers. Does that line of reasoning go for capped honey frames also?

Sqkcrk, You answered for both questions: Yes do it ASAP/ Yes they can sit around for a few days.

Sorry, didn't mean to be confusing. Do what you need to do when you can, not when you want to. Keeping supers of honey around for a period of time won't hurt anything. I have 5 pallets of 30 supers of honey each in my building right now and it will probably be weeks before it gets extracted. I don't extract my own, but the honey needs to come off now.

So, the answer is Yes.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Sqkcrk, apparently you don't SHB yet uness your building is kept very cold. If left for weeks here we would have a slimy rotten mess. I know they are in MI already so I would encourage Ambassador to not let it sit too long.

True and true. He should follow your advice. I simply answered the question asked. I often get in trouble w/ people on beesource when I try to answer the hidden question "What should I do?". I don't know what he needs to do, I only know what has been done and what is done. More questions need to be asked quite often.

I have some SHB. Usually they are not a problem. Or not yet enough of a problem. For me, personally.