Default Man! They are irritable today!

I had an Oak log that was cut up from earlier in the spring. It was laying about 8 feet in front of some hives. At ng to sting my jacket least 5 pieces are directing in front of the hives but at least eight feet distant.
    Anyway, I took the tractor over and was able to get one piece loaded before I got bumped about twenty times. Even though the logs were 8 feet out in front, the first piece was about 15 or 20 feet to the side or toward the front corner. I did not get stung but I got slammed in the head about 20 times before I could get out of dodge.
    Meanwhile the tractor is still sitting over there running. I went and got a viel and jacket and tried to load a couple more. That was a mistake. Even though I did not get stung, I believe I would have if I woud have stayed at it. I had hundreds of bees butting me and trying to sting my jacket,veil, and gloves.

Even though it was about 80 degrees and sunny, it was down in the low 40's last night. The first really chilly night we've had so far.

I guess I will wait until lat this evening or first thing tommorow to move the wood.
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

Default Re: Man! They are irritable today!

All of my hives have been especially cranky lately. Even the ones that are normally very docile launch a pre-emptive attack as soon as I take off the cover. There is honey to be harvested but I will have to come back with some bee quick and a fume board to chase them off the supers (why are full capped supers still full of bees????). Having to layer up a little bit to avoid becoming a stinger pincushion, some if the little buggers are figuring out how to get up inside my veil, which is always exciting.
    life is finite while knowledge is infinite. - Zhuang Zi

About this time last year I fussed with my hives on the back neighbor's yard. I hauled some clutter back to the the house and returned twenty minutes later to find his cub cadet tractor running with lawn deck engaged about ten paces from the flight barrier without neighbor. I found him shirtless in his driveway. After we enjoyed a good laugh I drove the tractor into his garage. That reminds me, I owe him honey.

I went back at about 5:30 pm. Still warm, and the bees still flyying. They did not seem affected by me at all. I got all of the wood moved and the bees were none the worse for it. So I really don't know what was up. It makes me want tor reconsider the food that I was going to give them today. (j/k)
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

this is the time of year for hornets and yellow jackets to start probing in earnest and that may have gotten them in the defense mode before you arrived.
    i am constantly amazed at the newbees that work or open their hives without a veil just because of the situation you described.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

I pulled two full supers from my hive over the weekend and left the 3rd one alone as it was only partially full and i'm not planning to extract until tomorrow. They are normally very calm but when I stopped by yesterday afternoon they came out to greet me immediately and wouldn't give up as I quickly inspected the last remaining super to see what they had accomplished over the last few days. Is this normal behavior after they lose most of there stored honey?

"Is this normal behavior after they lose most of there stored honey?"
    It's normal for a few days after anytime you disturb them much,and this time of year normal at all times.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

It's also normal for bees to act defensive in the late summer/early fall because they are very protective of the honey that they have been working so hard to produce for the last 6 months.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

I have hives at home that are mostly docile. The ones out at a farm I leased them to is usually hot.
    We picked up three hives in logs this past week or so. Even with the chain saws going the bees were out flying but not attacking. When I did an inspection this week my Normally Docile girls were up and ready to attack. The Log Hives were calm and even when I opened the top lid, they came out looked around and went back in the hive. Honestly, since worker bees are females, I think PMS may be the root cause.. Now Ladies,,I only meant it as a little tease, please forgive me.