Default Should I add a wooden bottom board under the screened one for winter?

I have seven hives with screened bottomo boards and I know some keep them like that during the winter but what I wonder is if I should put a woodern board under the screens during the winter so as to reduce the cold inside the hive of course. It's getting into the 30s at night now where I live in WV.

Default Re: Should I add a wooden bottom board under the screened one for winter?

I am putting a sheet of quarter-inch plywood under by SBB....just sliding it in. Main reason is because I want to keep blowing snow out of the hives. I will do the same with my TBH.

Default Re: Should I add a wooden bottom board under the screened one for winter?

Thanks. Have you done this before and not had problems with moisture being trapped in the hive?

I do not anticipate any problems because I have a half-inch ventilation hole (covered with #8 hardware cloth) in each of my supers...including the deeps. On the very top super I have a slightly larger hole that functions both for ventilation and as an entrance/exit for the bees (not covered with #8). In addition to that my inner cover, which is rimmed with half-inch plywood with a slot cut in each side, will be inverted over the hive during the winter. On top of that I made a wider (thicker) telescoping cover to accomodate a 1 inch thick piece of foam board for a little additional insulation. I even have ventilation channels cut about 3/8 inch in the foam board. All this is something new that I am trying this year for the first time. Hopefully I will have good results.

I leave my sbb's open all winter and have found this to be effective at managing the moisture.

I use old political signs which I cut to size and slide under the screened area. My sbb's have a slot for them under the screens. Both the screen and "tray" can be pulled out. I do leave about an inch opening from the front so that air can circulate up the front of the hive right through the 3/8" front top vent under one corner of the inner cover. I close the sbb's at the end of August when I remove the honey supers. It seems to encourage the queen to go to the bottom super when they fill the top deep with fall honey. OMTCW

I close mine with the corrugated plastic "sticky boards". I use old political signs on my homemade SBB's.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

No. Not necessary and may collect moisture. If you feel the need to block some of the wine insert one of the plastic boards but I would leave several inches open.

I just did Oxalic Acid treatments and had sticky boards on my SBB and we had a bunch of rain, the boards had actually caused moisture buildup and turned a little of the top cover green , so i am leaving the sbb open all winter, i was told it wasn't the cold that killed the bees , but moisture . I am also making more top ventillation like Mike P. says to do for winter moisture venting.

There are people in NY, & Colorado who never close them. & there are people who do.
    I'm not sure its ever been proven to make a difference unless the hives are in a windy location.
    Dan