Thread: 2:1 fall feed

Default 2:1 fall feed

8 pounds of sugar diluted in 4 pints(2 quarts) of boiled water is what I did for my Fall feeder buckets. Is this correct to make a gallon of 2:1 Fall feed? Thanks, juzzerbee

Default Re: 2:1 fall feed

thats how i did mine

Water weighs ~8.3lbs/gallon. 2quart=1/2gallon or ~4.15lbs. The short answer is close enough - you're not baking a cake. Mike Palmer posted an easy way to make 2:1.

1) draw a line on your bucket
    2) fill with sugar to the line
    3) fill with water to the line
    4) mix
    5) top off with water to the line
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I measure my syrup this way: (this is for 1:1, but it could be modified)

I take a bucket, and put 20 lbs of sugar in it. I mark this level on the outside of the bucket. Next time I want to make 1:1, I can simply fill with water up to the mark, then add two 10-lb bags of syrup to it. No measuring

But if you did it this way you would be over your line, since you reversed filling it the second time as you did when you did the initial marking and the sugar will take up some of the volume. You marked the sugar level 1st and then filled your bucket with water to the line. I think your wording is a bit off, right? I think you would want to mark the water level and THEN add the 20 pounds of sugar. And I assume that you mean that you add 2, 10 pound bags of sugar, not syrup right? Sorry if I am a bit off, sometimes I am not too smrt, I mean S-M-A-R-T.(BTW-That is a joke towards me.) juzzerbee

Ha! You're right, I wasn't clear. Let me try again

To prepare your bucket, put two 10-lb bags of sugar in the bucket. Then mark this level.

This was only for preparation, so now you should dump the sugar out into another bucket (or something).

Now, you have an empty bucket with a mark on the outside, representing the volume of 20lbs of sugar. Any time you need 1:1 syrup, you can fill the empty bucket up to the mark with water. Then add your two 10-lb bags of sugar.

Sometimes things are much clearer in my head than what I type... Happens when I speak, too

Take care,
    wanderyr

Ha! I am the same way very often, especially when it comes to talking bees! I am guilty as well though, it just hit me that the level mark made would be the same mark whether you start with water or sugar. If my thinking is correct, is it safe to say the volume in a bucket of water used is equal to the amount of sugar used? It is 1:1. As a newbee, I have found it is important to laugh when working with bees, instead of being too serious, like I find myself to "bee" trying to do everything, "just right", after all it is a hobby!!! juzzerbee

I looked into it last year (I'm a newbee, too), and the ratios were very similar whether it was by weight or by volume.

It's not perfect, but close enough for me. And I'm what my wife refers to as "anally retentive", although I prefer "exacting"

I noticed something interesting regarding the volume of granulated sugar: Fill a quart jar with sugar. Then, quickly rotate it back and forth in your hand, to cause it to settle. It settles much more than I had expected!

Have fun,
    wanderyr

25lb bag of sugar to 1 1/2 gal. of water. This makes a little more than 3 gal. of 2:1 sugar water..
    Its easy and takes 20 minutes or so to make up.. I use my turkey fryer deep stock pot and heat it up, that way there is no mess in my kitchen.