Default Priming a foundation so the bees will draw it out

Hey all:

I've been feed my 2 hives because they weren't drawing any new comb. Now they've drawn comb and have honey and syrup.

My telescoping lid (sittin directly on my internal feeder) had 2 4"X6" combs full of syrup hanging from it. There not many bees on it. It seemed to be a temporary storage location.

If I want to encourage bees to draw out plastic frame, could I take those combs and press some wax into the foundation to get them started on those frames?

BannonB

Default Re: Priming a foundation so the bees will draw it out

Brush the with melted beeswax, and that will help alot. You could also spray the foundation with sugar syrup.

I have sprayed them with sugar syrup with little affect. I didn't start seeing building going on until I started dumping 25 lbs of sugar in there (actually just making gallons and gallons of 1:1 syrup).

So, melting the wax from the errant combs I found would make plastic more tolerable. I can see that.

thanks!

Brushing the plastic foundation with extra wax will help them out for sure. But, they still will not draw them out unless they need them. By feeding you simulated a honey flow causing the bees a need for more room to store the syrup so they drew out your frames.

You are getting them to draw comb in September?