Default Not treating or no Queen for winter, better route??

At this time I cannot find either of my Queens and haven't seen eggs. I am concerned that the use of Apigard(mite control) may have messed up their Fall laying pattern. I am considering pulling the Apigard from my hives at this time to see if the Queens(hopefully still there, but not found by me) will begin laying yet. That "might" mean that the mites will take over as well though(1 hive has been treated for 10 days, the other for about 3-4 weeks). There has been a large killing of mites on my sticky board during the treatments. Assuming there are still Queens there, what should I do? Pull the medication and maybe the Queens will begin laying? Maybe the Queens have flown away and I am otta luck anyway.

What's worse going into the winter? Mites or no eggs and a laying Queen? Thanks, juzzerbee

Default Re: Not treating or no Queen for winter, better route??

What is the temperature there? Have they kicked out the drones yet? Are your hives honey-bound/does she have room to lay?

With the break in brood caused by winter, your mite population will go down drastically.

In my first year opinion (book learning, no experience), the queen may have shut down laying for the winter. This will get rid of a huge amount of mites. Treating at this point is kind of redundant. You said that both queens quit laying at the same time and you have been treating them for different amounts of time. The queens might have thinned down a bit (no need to lay for winter) and it could be that she is hiding under other bees (keeping warm) so, they would be hard to spot.
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

I have had the queen shut down laying during and for a while after treatment with Apiguard.
    I would suggest you complete the treatment, the queen should start laying again before winter.
    Just some thoughts.

Thanks, both of you!!! I finally have an answer that I was hoping for to one of my many questions that I have asked during my 1st year of beekeeping. All is not LOST!!!!I might take the Apigaurd off the hive that has had it on longer just to do a bit of research.

Anyone ever hear of a Queen taking off all together due to the use of Apiguard? Thanks a bunch, juzzerbee

Yes, the bees will abscond with the queen, especially if the temperature gets too high or you miscalculate and put on too much treatment with Apigard or Apilifevar. I don't think the queen would leave by herself so if you still have a good amount of bees left you are probably ok.

I removed the treatment from both hives yesterday(Monday). Any idea how long it might take before she starts laying again? Thanks, juzzerbee

When I had two hives stop laying after treatment with Apiguard it took approx two weeks before she started laying again. Now considering your location and time of year she may not lay 1000 eggs a day when she starts laying again as she may be ramping down for the shorter days of winter.
    Just some thoughts.

Yes!!!!!! Thanks. That gives me hope that it very well might be the Apigard keeping them from laying. Now that I think about it, the hive I treated earlier stopped having eggs earlier. When I started treating the other hive, it had eggs, and then they too were gone. I will be as thorough as I during my next inspection. Hopefully I am able to find the Queens. juzzerbee