Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Nucs to Full Colonies - What's Your Ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    I think that our perspective on Nucs in warmer climates with nearly year round brood cycle is different.
    I agree. But it's not the nuc configuration that's the most important factor here. It's using the resources you already have in your apiary, to create the future of your apiary. So for you beekeepers in the south, you may not be keeping your nucs in nuc boxes, but rather in singles or more.

Actually, my focus in training beekeepers in this management, is to get them off the packaged bee treadmill. You may not be able to raise the queens to go in your nucleus colonies...yes, walk-away queens are possible...but not from the non-productive colonies...but don't let that stop you. You'll find these little colonies will build up in the spring like no others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    Hi Ralph, I was going to ask the same questions about the nucs; so it is a good idea to have some nucs in my bee yard? I just started this year and my colony has just absconded (see the thread "absconding?)....if I had a nuc in addition to my hive, I could have saved the bigger hive?
    Yep, exactly. Dr Larry Connor suggests starting with 1.5 colonies...one production colony and one nucleus colony.

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomy Acres View Post
    On a different thread I have been talking about my current hive which has a small population going into winter, can I treat that as a nuc, or am I missing something here? Thanks!!
    Moving a weak, compromised colony into a nuc box, won't necessarily make a healthy nuc that will make the winter.

Not really sure of my ratio, nucs to production colonies. My situation is a bit different than most. But...

I have somewhere around 650 production colonies, 450, 4 over 4 nucleus colonies, and about 500 mating nucs.

My crew manages the production colonies, help catch queens every 4 days, and help me set up nucleus colonies if I get behind. I save about 100 wintered nucleus colonies for use as brood factories to use in cell builder colonies and to be used to make the year's new 4 over 4 nucs, and to re-stock my mating nucs if I lose too many.

The plan works well for me and my apiary. My production colonies are maintained at top strength to take advantage of what flows come along, as I don't have to make spring splits from them. My nucs provide the resources to keep the whole thing going over time.

Hobbiest here, around 15-20 hives and 4, 5 frame nucs 5/5. I generally do not rob my production hives to make nucs but rather use late swarm captures. Last few years I usually lose 2-3 hives over winter and use these to restock. Swarms were abundant this year so many went into hives and I only kept the late ones in nucs. One has been robbed to assist with a trap out. I am at what I consider the maximum manageable level as a hobbiest and don't plan to increase anymore (my wife would comment, I have heard that before) so if I can keep enough nucs through the winter to replenish in the spring I am happy. Problem will be if my nucs make it through the winter, I only lose a few hives and we have another good swarm season.......

My ratio is zero to three. For the lazy beehaver nucs are more trouble than they are worth. My goal is to have one producing hive so having three that take care of them selves rather than me micromanaging them works for me.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Gosh, I would really like to see those videos! Unfortunately with my limited bandwidth, downloading 2+ hr of video is not an option. Does anyone know if there a written outline or summary of Mike's information?

There is a long, long thread here on beesource...I think it is titled "overwinter nucs" or something like that it has a pretty good outline of Mike Palmer's system, but it takes awhile to digest as there are tangents in it of course. I think also some of the techniques he has changed over the years (it started several years back). But it is a good read.

Hi DeeAnna, I just watched it in video form, did not download it. There is a lot of information there; I was trying to take notes, but i think watching it a few times AND notes will be better...and windfall is right, lots of info on this sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Yep, exactly. Dr Larry Connor suggests starting with 1.5 colonies...one production colony and one nucleus colony.
    OK, so I should start with two nucs this spring? or three? being that my colony is lost this year and have to start over....what a great video; have to keep watching to gather all that info for my brain!