Default do u find a truck cap useful or a hindrance?

i have an opportunity to purchase a cap for my truck. on a beekeeper stand point do u find a cap useful or a pain?

Default Re: do u find a truck cap useful or a hindrance?

It is a pain to load the body if you need to carry a full load. Mine has an opening height of a little over 30 inches. I often find that a handicap.

I seldom/never need a cap for beekeeping activites.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I have a cap on my truck with built-in tool drawers in the bed that are about 12" high. I wouldn't have a truck without a cap, you know, rain and snow. For yard visits it's fine. If I have to move bees, I use my trailer.
    Regards, Barry

I've had about 7 Suburbans...they work for me!

My neighbor finds it very helpful. He puts his honey supers in the bed and leaves the smoker lit inside. The few stragglers leave fairly quickly through the small crack he leaves in the back glass. It's a tall cap, I call it a camper shell. I probably wouldn't have one of the covers that is level with the top of the bed so I can still haul things.

It keeps people honest. I can stack 30 single-story hives and not screen a one with a topper.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I like mine for just about everything. Only had it off a couple of times in 13 years. I don't haul tall hives, but it does keep everything out of sight and locked tight.

My truck came with a topper and I like having everything locked up and dry. It's a pain to load and unload boxes though. All of that crawling in and out takes its toll. Earlier this summer, we had to move several 3-deep colonies after a bear found a yard. The topper was tall enough but the entrance was not. We pulled the topper and didn't put it back on until a couple of weeks ago. While it was off, it sure was convenient being able to reach over the sides of the box for stuff and not having to crawl around inside with a veil on.
    So... my post is probably not much help to you, but maybe it offered up some pros and cons.
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

I have always had a top on my pickup beds, the ones that are the height of the truck roof and would not do without one. Everything stays dry, locked up and out of the sun. For loads near the front you can use a piece of plywood that matches the bed with home made handles. Pull the board out a foot at a time when unloading. Done properly you can shift many hundreds of pounds back towards the tail gate area by yourself. There are also made canvas sheets and a crank that fits over the tail gate to unload heavier projects such as firewood and even piles of bricks. Filled bee hives are a snap to unload.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6939_200576939
    Last edited by Michael Pawelek; 09-24-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Michael-

That sounds like a great idea! I have a topper on my truck and wouldn't be without it, but getting stuff out from the front of the bed is a problem. Also, this time of year the bed of the truck tends to get honey-coated, so it is even more of a chore to slide in to retrieve stuff. I use a lot of plastic totes for things and use a long wooden handle (like a shovel handle) with a hook on the end to hook the totes by their handles and pull them out.
    life is finite while knowledge is infinite. - Zhuang Zi

The other big drawback to a top I found out is bringing home bees in the supers that cluster on it during transport. They won't leave. I had bees down in my tool drawers and on the topper side for two weeks after bringing supers home.