Default ..., and my next trick will be...

$%^ BEE 1.jpg (Click the photo to enlarge it.)
    There is no pain with it at all, and a lot of the swelling has gone down since yesterday. It was my own fault, not the bees. I had removed four of the bars off the back of the hive so that I could slide the feeder farther towards the back so they'd finish filling up the hive with comb for storing winter honey. TopFeeder sm 423 plastic.jpg
    While the hive top was opened some of the bees came out. After I closed it up, I noticed that there were about 25 bees in the back corner trying to get into the hive by going UNDER the bars; that was impossible, but they kept trying. I could not figure out why they were acting so silly, and kept brushing them off the hive with my fingers... thinking that they would fly around to the front entrance. Last night it occurred to me that these were the two-week-old bees that were building comb after eating the sugar water. They had never been out of the hive, so they did not know about the front entrance; one had had enough of my brushing them off where they knew they had exited, and she nailed me in the eye since my face was about a foot from her. LIVE AND LEARN!

Default Re: ..., and my next trick will be...

I don't think she liked you looking at her.. She is just prudent, thats all.

Gosh, sorry to see that. Earlier in the year I was feeding with a glass jar feeder, but swapping it out really wasn't for the faint of heart as I had to reach into the hive to put pull it out and put in a new one. I did that for a few days with a glove on, but I also would get a lot of bees behind the follower board. I ended up making a feeder in the follower board that I could fill without disturbing the bees. The only problem with that type of feeder is when refilling it there are always a ton of bees in there. You have to fill it very slowly to avoid drowning bees. Plus while it is easy to make one, it would not be easy to make ten.

I was thinking that I make a gravity feeder that sits on a board on the backside of the follower board, It would be easier to refill and easier to make (I think). Just cut a slow in the bottom of the follower to slide the feeder end through. If not using the feeder it could be closed with a piece of wood.

Looks at bit sore!

I have quit taking the chance. Very easy to slip on a mosquito net over the head and a pair of long cuffed heavy cleaning gloves for these small jobs. Net is $3 and gloves are $6. Bees don't find the cuffs or the somewhat loose elastic around the neck and I'm sting free this year.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Hoosier, that is quite a sucker punch you have there, thanks for sharing, these types of posts serve to remind all of us of the possibilities.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Shannonswyatt, I have a 1 1/2-ince bar divided into three 1/2-inch strips; the middle section has an empty slot about 8 inches long where they can go up into the feeder's feeding area on one end. All four corners have caulk in them to keep the bees from using the tunnels on the sides so that they can not go to the other end. I've only had to move it farther back one time. Soon I'm going to make a video of it for YouTube.

Thanks, all, for the replies. After three days, all of the swelling has gone and my exceedingly magnificent good looks have returned.

Sweet.