Default What am I doing Wrong?

I have one hive with one deep super and two medium. My question is this: How do I put the supers back together after an inspection without killing bees and in turn making the hive mad and alarmed? I always smoke the super which does very little, the bees crawl back onto the sides. I also use my bee brush, same thing, they crawl back on the sides. I slide the super slowly back on just like my books tell me to do. I still manage to decapitate several bees, and alarm pheremone is in the air. Last time this happened I had one mad mess of bees. What am I doing wrong? What should I be doing differently? Can anyone help? This is making me dread hive inspection, which is not good! Help!!

Default Re: What am I doing Wrong?

I replace boxes by setting them down 45 degrees out so that only 8 small areas of the boxes are in contact. I then twist the upper box into position. It is not perfect but works better than trying to slide one box across the top of another for me.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I set down one side and then slowly wiggle it into position. The wiggling gives them a chance to get out of the way.
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

Welcome KPC! Work a little faster after you smoke them off the edge.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

My wife and I usually work together. When one smokes the other slides the box on. And like Gary said in the above post set the box at an angle and twist.

The longer the hive is open the more bees will boil out. Make your inspections as quick as possible in and out. If you see eggs and the bees have feed, do what you came to do and close them up. More queens are killed looking for the queen than any other way.