See.... told you they would be there waiting for you! lol
Document the occasion well with vids and pics.
I like vids and pics.
Tonight I have a lot of staples to pull out of that the tarp material I have on it right now. I won't be removing actual top bars until the daylight, though. I just want the real roof on it tonight. I'd rather pull all those staples out with the bees in for the night.
I guess that is my problem. My phone does take better pictures than my camera!
Well, good news and bad news.
The bad news is I just saw evidence that this hive is probably infected with wax moths.
The good news is, "my" bees are very defensive of this hive because I saw two of them wrestling and flying away with what looked like a wax-moth larvae to the ground. This is the evidence I have that it's infected. I guess I'll find out just how bad when I remove the roof in the next day-or-so.
Just a guess, but, if you are seeing wax moth evidence, you likely don't have a queen, or the hive is very weak. A good strong hive will not have wax worms.
I would compress the hive. Remove what comb they can't protect that is infested and freeze it to kill the wax moths. Try to get them down one box smaller than they currently are so they can guard the combs they have.
Michael, Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a smaller hive to put them in for now, but I can surely place a follower-board in there of some sort.
So the other day a gentleman called me who oversees a retirement mobile home park here in Lakeland, FL. Me and a buddy already removed some bees over a year ago from this neighborhood, but I believe I'll be going this one alone.
I stopped by to take photos today and scope-out what I'll be dealing with.
And by the way, I'm going to start a whole new thread for this one too, but here are the photos thus far of my reconnaissance mission: Just went to scope-out hive underneath a mobile home for soon-to-be cut-out
Not too sure how far they go back, but I doubt it's too far. This is right on the bottom edge of a mobile home - of course underneath the home.
Last edited by PatBeek; 02-06-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Alright, I did my first inspection this morning of this hive that''s from the trap-out I originally did back in late September.
First off, there's plenty of capped brood, so the queen DID make it out.
I was only able to inspect half the hive thus far because of time constraints.
I did not see ANY sign of wax moths in this first go-round, but I'm sure there could be some towards the front entrance. So basically, what I have seen thus far, the hive is VERY healthy and thriving.
In fact, here's the comb they are building on the last top bar towards the back. Notice there are only about 4 top bars left in this hive. That's how much they've built since late September....lol.....unbelievable.
Here are a few other top bars I pulled out. I had to do just MINIMAL cutting to separate either attached comb and/or propolis, so they did a fine job keeping it all straight, at least from what I've seen thus far. I'm assuming the front part is straight too or else the back part wouldn't be.
Also, I had my 7-year-old son take these photos from the safety of behind the screened-in porch... hehehe.. So therefore, the photography could have been better, but that's what I have to work with at the moment.
Nice! Please invest a few dollars into a proper jacket and veil before you succumb to the sun and die from heat stroke!
However, it felt GREAT today compared to what I was feeling the other day doing that botched cut-out under the mobile home.
But yes, there are three things on my shopping list:
A good suit
A bee vac
(and hopefully not a divorce lawyer)...lol
Ha! As soon as she starts getting honey she will complain that there isn't enough honey and you need to make more!
Here's a very short video clip of these bees enjoying their new home after the trap-out hive was moved to my backyard from their original location.
By the way, that Lowe's bucket has some leftover honey from the comb I pulled from the botched cut-out I did a few days ago: