Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Got an email from new customer this morning - did trap-out this afternoon

Here's the original roof, of which I have covered it with tarp material just on the very top and around the edges.

It's what I will use when the hive is at my house in normal operating mode:

Default Re: Got an email from new customer this morning - did trap-out this afternoon

Ha! I'm planning on putting out some top bar swarm traps in the spring. I've mostly finished construction on them so I should be good to go. I figured for the successful ones I would just put an extension clamp across the top of the bars and tighten it up. I figured that should do the trick, particularly since I would probably use my truck for transport. I have a hatchback, so transporting bees in the car could get exciting rather quickly.

I'm thinking about just using a piece of coraplast for the roof of the swarm traps, and stapling it to the top of the hive (not the bars, but the ends). I think that should work. I was also thinking about using some tyvec, but with this being a political year I think I should be able to come up with some free signs.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    ............... but with this being a political year I think I should be able to come up with some free signs.

Yeah, a Ron Paul or Gary Johnson sign would look GREAT on a hive, come to think of it !!!

Ha! I was thinking a sign that says Hope on it would be appropriate! Someone else can have the change!

Here's a video I dug up from the archives of this same trap-out (just placed it on youtube tonight).

It has a good shot of a bunch of bees exiting the cone.

Towards the end of the video, one of them feisty sisters gets a little too close for comfort. I had to kind of get away and possibly mash it from my neck/facial area. For now, I just have a pullover veil that I wear a hooded rain jacket over. If you aren't careful, they can maneuver their way in.

Anyhow, here's the video:

Nice video Pat.
    Just be patient, you will be rewarded. I have done many trap outs with pretty much the same scenario. One colony had been in the wall for two years. The homeowners did not want me to demo anything and insisted the bees just moved in a month or so prior. I recieved a call from them two days later to get the dripping honey out of the wall! lol I reunited the bees to their hive (via cut out) and it is the strongest hive I have. I was lucky enough to capture all the queens with the exception of one. The queen may not of even existed in that one. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it).
    Keep us in the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Nice video Pat.
    I was lucky enough to capture all the queens with the exception of one. The queen may not of even existed in that one. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it).
    Can you elaborate more on what you mean by that? So the hive had multiple queens? ( I know that's possible). How would you know if you didn't get one of the queens? That's what has me mostly confused.

OHHHHHH, I think I know what you mean now..............You mean the queens in each of the different trap-outs. I thought you meant in the same trap-out.

NEVERMIND............

So the ones you DID catch the queen, did you have brood/eggs in the trap-out already? I know that isn't really a factor to make the queen emerge, but I'm just making sure that the workers didn't raise a new queen of which you THOUGHT she came out.

So you're saying the queen emerged from the abandoned hive and went into the trap-out in similar setups as I have?

Thanks.

I'm still out-of-state and can't pick up my bait hive of which this thread is based on.

So I wrote the girl the other day to see if wverything is still ok and if my wife can come pick them up in the evening (to make sure the bees will all be inside the hive) and if she has the money - AND if she's mad or anything like that.

Well here's her email What she said caught me by surprise regarding the bees:

Thanks Patrick. I'm working on getting the money.
    Your wife can come get the new hive whenever. Although there are always bees on the outside at night... I think it might not be big enough for all of them?
    YIKES !!!

Why would the bees be hanging around outside at night?

Could there really be that many bees from this trap-out to where they can't all fit in it?

Is it because they are Africanized and that's just what they do - - even at night?

Anyhow, I asked her to take a photo of the hive at night and send it to me. This oughtta be interesting.

Pat,
    I didn't have anything in the nuc when I performed the trap out. No brood, comb, honey, lemon grass oil,... nothing.
    Queen followed the rest of the bees. Maybe I'm just lucky with bees!

Well, my customer sent me a picture tonight of my trap-out taken at about 11:20 pm - - LONG after the sun went down.

This situation has kind of caught me off guard.

Looks like my plan to have my wife move the bees at night has backfired.

I'm a thousand miles away and this will have to wait 'til I get back.

So does anyone have any idea of why they'd be hanging out of the hive like this, even at night?

Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post

So does anyone have any idea of why they'd be hanging out of the hive like this, even at night?

Just a guess, but i would say either space or heat, and I'm leaning towards heart, since the top of the hive cant vent due to the tarp trapping heat in.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    Just a guess, but i would say either space or heat, and I'm leaning towards heat, since the top of the hive cant vent due to the tarp trapping heat in.
    Well what about when bees live in a tree with just a single hole they go in? Are tree hives cool inside?

But I agree, it's most-likely a heat issue. I suppose it's possible they could have no room.

So what about the Africanized factor? Could that be just what they do - IF - in fact - they are Africanized?

Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post
    So what about the Africanized factor? Could that be just what they do - IF - in fact - they are Africanized?
    Just a thought, but you probably would have found out they were africanized when you were putting the contraption up. If they didn't chase you for a mile then I would assume that they are not africanized (at least not a lot).

Yes, trees do not have AC units either, but they also probably breath a bit better than a tarp. That is why I asked you before about the top. I assume that the days down your way are a bit warmer than up here. Again, heat is just a guess. It would be great if it is just an issue with space, that would mean you have a nice size hive. Then again, that is just a nuc.

My dad has a hive that bearded up on the front of the hive all spring/summer long. But come to think of it they are **** mean, maybe they are africanized!

Oh.... you would have known RIGHT AWAY if they were africanized. There would be no doubt in your mind. They are just bearding due to the heat.
    They will be there when you get back.

I appreciate all the input.

I won't know 'til I get back.

But yes, some of them were pursuing me around the corner to the driveway when I first took the light fixtire down from their hole and and placing the cone on. But hey, that's how bees are SUPPOSED to act. I'm not troubled by it at all. That's what suits are for.

Does anyone in Florida want to volunteer to go pick up my bees from this lady's house in Winter Haven, FL? I'm still stuck in Texas on a nightmarish project that keeps dragging on and on and on and on and on. I just emailed the owner of the house the other day and asked her if the bees were still hanging outside the hive at night - even though the weather has gotten cooler in Florida - and she confirmed that they WERE still on the outside at night. She said she'd be patient until I got back, but would rather have them gone.

Anyone want to help a bee-brutha out? I will clean out your hives of AFB and wax moths with my tongue for the next two years if you can help me out................or something like that.

Send me the airfare there and back and I'll gladly do it for ya Pat! lol
    They will be fine until you can collect them. Seems like the lady is starting to enjoy the whole experience.

ok - YOU'RE ON !!!!

Then you get to get groped and radiated by TSA as well......but I'm not compensating you for that nightmare !!!

As for as her "enjoying" the experience, well, she's TOLERATING it, perhaps. :/

Soooooooooooooo, once upon a time, in late-September, I did a trap-out for a nice young lady in Florida. Little did I know I'd be away from home for about 3-4 months working in Texas.

Well, I was able to fly-in for a break in the project and hopefully spend a week-or-two here in Florida.

I FINALLY PICKED UP THE TRAP-OUT !!!!!

I went to her house yesterday evening while all the bees were inside and calm. I placed a piece of duct tape over the three holes and put the hive in the trunk. I also got my trap-out cone off her house, of course. No issues whatsoever.

Here's a photo of them making themselves at home at their NEW home in my backyard. I still need to get a proper stand for them, especially one that won't expand in the hot sun and make the hive uneven. I also need to take that temp roof off and place the real roof on. There's no telling what kind of hive mess I will find when I pop some of those top bars out. But one thing is for certain, the queen must have come out of the trapped-out hive and into my hive because it's been at least three months and the hive is thriving.....or at least seems to be because there are a lot of bees flying around.

I placed them right by my screened-in patio so me and the kids can have a front-row seat to the entrance of the hive. It's a poor-man's observation hive, I guess you could say:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast