Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to transport my bee hives

I have been renting a space in a college horticultural ground for my two hives. It is too far for me to visit my girls more often. I am thinking to transport my hives to my backyard (my husband initially said he was allergic to bees but now he changed his mind!). It is about 20 min. ride from current renting place. How can I transport my hives and when is the best time? Lease is up at the end of October so I was hoping I could transport my hives by then. What do I need to be worried about ?

Default Re: How to transport my bee hives

Truck, trailer, SUV, back seat of car, trunk of car. Seal the hives with screen across entrance for ventilation (unless they have SBB, if so just seal front, gorilla duct tape any holes or cracks in the hives, and move them.

cchoganjr

EmiKami,
    A pickup truck would be great but I have a ford expedition and have moved hives several times. I wait until dusk so all or most of the forragers will be in the hive then put a moving net over each hive. Load them up and drive off. Unload them at the new location and leave the net on until morning then release them just before dawn. IF you were only moving some of the hives you could move them anytime as the returning forragers would just return to another hive.
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/985/
    Let us know how it goes.
    Just some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Truck, trailer, SUV, back seat of car, trunk of car. Seal the hives with screen across entrance for ventilation (unless they have SBB, if so just seal front, gorilla duct tape any holes or cracks in the hives, and move them.

cchoganjr
    Thank you ! Is there a better time to move hives? Is it better to move at night when all bees are inside so we don't leave anybody behind?
    Is it better to move now than a month later?

Thank you! I will order the net for sure. This is a stupid question though but here it goes. You put the net after moving all the boxes, right?

The net is expensive and not neccessary. On a cool day, Put a ratchet strap around the bottomboard to cover and lock things in place. Wait til dusk and tape any holes, staple a screen securely or tape the entrance closed and flame on! When you get your short distance move done it will be dark. Place them exactly where you want them on your property. Give it some thought before moving. open the entrance and walk away for a couple days. It is done. So simple I have sucessfully done it a hundred times.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    The net is expensive and not neccessary. On a cool day, Put a ratchet strap around the bottomboard to cover and lock things in place. Wait til dusk and tape any holes, staple a screen securely or tape the entrance closed and flame on! When you get your short distance move done it will be dark. Place them exactly where you want them on your property. Give it some thought before moving. open the entrance and walk away for a couple days. It is done. So simple I have sucessfully done it a hundred times.
    Thank you. What kind of tape do you use? If it is sticky, don't bees get stuck on it?

The time you move hives is directly related to how many hives you have to move. If a very small number, yes, wait until just before dark. (Or better yet, screen off before daylight and move during the day) If you have several to move, moving and setup after dark is not a good option.

A month from now it will be cooler, and fewer bees will be out in the field early in the morning, so I would screen the front at daylight, then move during the day. You can seal any opening the day or week before, so that all you have to do on movement day, is seal the entrance. I wouldn't wait until freeze conditions, as comb not occupied by bees will be more brittle if frozen.

If you move during the day you will lose some of your field bees, but, keep in mind they are at the end of their life anyway. This time of year if your bees are in good shape, losing a few bees is not a big deal. Those bees will be dead in a few days. If your bees are strong, reducing the number by a small number is not a big deal.

cchoganjr

Expanding on her question with more questions! I am being given a 2 deep, 1 medium super hive by an elderly person who can no longer take care of them. I was thinking of waiting until late winter / early spring as it is within 3 miles of my house, the population should be down and I do have to take it apart to move it as it is too heavy to move as one unit (and on the side of a hill).

My question, if I take it during winter when they are theoretically 'clustering' would all that jarring etc. disturb the cluster? I would take each medium, set it on a plywood board, tape it up and move them. When setting them up I would of course put them back the same order they were originally in. Or should I just wait until March when the rains stop and the days start to warm up?

I have moved 2 1/2 tall boxes many times using a hive carrier, the hinged curved pipe style carrier, even on hills they work great. Or just remove the top super which they don't need in winter any ways. Do it in the cold of winter, choose the right cold rainy day and you can even do it in the daylight.

I like to move my hives very early in the morning, but late evening will also work. I duct tape all of the joints between the boxes and the bottom board. This keeps thing from shifting when moving the hive into the vehicle and then during transport. Trust me you don't want the hive coming apart during this time. I use screened bottoms so I also duct tape over the entrance that has a reducer in it.

I just use duct tape. Yes a few bees get stuck on it. If you cut a piece of wood exactly and nail it in place blocking the entrance, that will work too. For any cracks or crevices, nothing is better than the sticky tape and one can quickly lose more bees to leakage out of the hive than will possibly be damaged by sticky tape.

Thanks all, I'll look into buying a hive carrier, love learning from this list! My other friend is now allergic to bees so may give me her hives too. Looks like I'll be expanding very quickly for next year; even have fellow beekeepers willing to sell my honey with theirs at the farmer's market. I still want to sell splits as a side line too.

Also I use a combination of screening and duct tape depending how far I'm going and how hot. I also have a few boards for the top where I drilled holes in them and covered them with screen.
    Last edited by CaBees; 09-21-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by CaBees View Post
    Thanks all, I'll look into buying a hive carrier, love learning from this list! .
    Dont waste the money unless you plan on moving them a lot. Just bring someone with you it is cheaper.

Just get some #8 screening and screen them in the night before and move them in the morning. But, evening is the best time to do it if you dont want to screen them in. Get some of these. http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-90984.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post

cchoganjr
    I agree with Hogan. I do it the same way. Make sure you have someone to help you load and unload.

Dont waste the money unless you plan on moving them a lot. Just bring someone with you it is cheaper.
    Bringing someone with me is not going to help me move a 2 deep full hive up a hill and into my truck and not have to take apart a hive to move it. I like the idea of having a hive carrier with handles. I will probably get alot of use out of it over the years.

Unfortunately I just don't have a lot of upper body strength.

Bringing someone with me is not going to help me move a 2 deep full hive up a hill and into my truck and not have to take apart a hive to move it.
    Touche, Handtruck might work easier a hive carrier still requires 2 people. Unless you get the hive hand truck. I have one and have never found a use for it.

I have to go up hills and steps for this one and am going to try and do it in the winter when they are clusterd. But yes, otherwise a handtruck could be a solution although you would still be tilting the hive, no?

I typically move evening/night when most of the girls are back. You will lose some bees that overnight in the field. Like everyone says, secure the boxes so they cannot come apart and screen off the entrance so nothing can get out. Make sure the top cover is screwed down as well. Make sure they have some ventilation. I don't tape my boxes up as they have slats on each end so i can screw the boxes together. I used a sock once to seal up the entrance (it was a nice clean wool sock....ok) when my screen was MIA. It worked ok, but just make sure you stuff it in there good.... Make sure someone can help u load, you need two fairly strong people to lift more than a 3 box hive (deeps). Lifting a 4 box deep is the pits, especially into a lifted truck.....

you would still be tilting the hive, no?
    They will be screened in so a little tilting would be acceptable. You need to do it quick and try not to jar them to much. When they are in cluster you want to try and not jar them at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast