Default Business in woodenware?

Amateur woodworker with 3 HP table saw, planer and 1400 BF of Hemlock lumber. I am thinking about getting my toe in the water of making boxes for local beeks. I have been seeing that the local bee store &*() and some guys about an hour south (advertising on CL) are advertising boxes for $20 assembled. Wood is stickered and air dried under my cheap moisture meters ability. I am thinking the further I take the product to complete the higher the price / demand.
    Problem is when the boxes are needed is in early spring when everybody gets into the bee game or expands. How many do I test the water with? I think the woodenware game is going the same as hitting the flow, all or none.
    If I can get Metro recycled paint for $9/gal and ‘certified recycled with mold inhibitors’ for $10/gal do I prime and paint them? Prime only?
    If I have $8 in material into them (clear), $9 primed and $10 painted (white) what do I jump into the market at?
    Craigslist? Go to the Bee store and work with them? I was approached last year by a new bee store looking for all loacal sourced woodenware and it got me thinking. Now I cannot shut my brain off.
    How do I establish my business plan?
    Maybe this should be in Marketing?
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Default Re: Business in woodenware?

If you make good quality boxes, I'd probably pay $10 a box or so for commercial grade/ Beeline is selling them for that in Rochester, a couple hours north of you.

I don't think you'd have much trouble selling them at $12-15 to hobbyists directly.

I am going to be in PDX next month, hoping to relocate. I'm a PNW native, a former resident of Portland.
    If you have a little time I'd enjoy meeting you at a coffee shop or McMinnamen's to talk a bout bees and business plan. I've been self employed for much of my life.
    I've been building a bee related business that might dovetail into your marketing plan well.

Msg me if you'd like to.

Default Re: Business in woodenware?

$12 to $15 would be good for a painted with High Grade Paint. You could offer non assembled for $10 non painted.
    larry