Default medium Ulster hive- how to feed?

I got a Brushy Mnt medium screen bottom Ulster hive on Black Friday and moved a small fall swarm into it about 10 days ago. They had some stores at that time but now there is none. I'm taking the hive to a farmer's market tomorrow. My plan is to keep a frame of bees in the top part at all times, and 5 frames in the bottom part. There is a good number of bees in the hive now. I keep it in my back yard shed close to the open door. The shed has 2 other hives that swarms moved into last fall. This moring I switched a brood frame that I hope contains the queen (in a hurry and didn't see her on that frame or any other, just a guess she's on that one) into the top of box.

I'm concerned about the lack of food. The only thing I can think of in how to feed them is to bring them in the house at night and figure out how to feed them through the bottom screen..like get a piece of honey comb pushed flat up against the screen, something like that. I"d like to give them some pollen mixed with some honey too. And a sponge of water same way. I would have to do it at night in the house to prevent a robbing attempt.

There was a brown open plastic frame thingy that came with the hive. I suppose I could figure out a way to use that as a feed frame but I see alot of drowning unless I put sponges inside it and minimal feed. I'm not crazy about that idea as I don't want to keep going in and out of the hive at this time.

Any other ideas? Thanks.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Default Re: medium Ulster hive- how to feed?

The usual method is to keep five frames below without the upper frame part and when you get ready to take it to a farmer's market you pull a frame of brood with the queen up and replace it with a frame feeder.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Default Re: medium Ulster hive- how to feed?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The usual method is to keep five frames below without the upper frame part and when you get ready to take it to a farmer's market you pull a frame of brood with the queen up and replace it with a frame feeder.
    It's a medium. It came with some kind of frame thing, like a feeder without a top or any way to keep bees from drowning if I were to use sugar syrup in it. I suppose I could put wet cappings with pollen topping. I have a frame feeder but it's deep.

My goal at this time is to avoid going in and out of the hive and manipulating because over the next several months I'm taking it with me 2 to 3 times a week. Three teaching events plus Monday and Tuesday farmers markets. I thought it kinder to just set them up one time, keep an eye on the top frame (queen and brood comb) and figure out an easy way to feed. It is so handy to go close the entrance at night, grab and go in the morning (thus the medium).
    Thanks for the reply.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF