Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Has anyone tried BeeWeaver's Buckfast queens?

7K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Monie 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I was looking at requeening a couple hives, and I'm asking for opinions on the Buckfast queens that BeeWeaver sells. Please post you opinion/experience here. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I have two 3 lb packages from there, April 2012. They both are working well, now into the 2rd super. Calm, no mites or shb ( from casual inspection).My other hive is a 3 lb package from CA. Very slow, looking for a new queen now. In truth one BWeaver package was mishandled by them, the post office or me, 2/3 dead bees. It was replaced promptly at no charge. Would highly recommend them.:applause: for BWeaver.

#3 ·
BeeWeaver has intergrated their buckfasts into their BeeWeaver breed. R.Weaver carries what is called a buckfast.
They even consider it a subtype of buckfasts, because they haven't had any new influx of buckfast blood in years.
An R.Weaver buckfast so to say. According to Clint W.

Are you talking about BeeWeaver or R.Weaver apiaries?

#6 ·
Benjamin,

I ordered 5 queens from them in July and made some splits with them to try them out. They have built up very fast. Three of them are in 5 frame nucs double stacked. The other two have been switched to 10 frame deep boxes with a second box added. The temperment has been pretty good. Sometimes I don't use smoke on them depends on weather. BWeaver was great to deal with. If they over winter good here in northern Wisconsin I will order more next year.

Hope this helps

#14 · (Edited)
Ben, I installed two Rweaver Buckfast queens about six weeks ago. About two weeks ago, one of the Buckfast queens flew out of my hand while I was marking her and the other is doing about as well as my home grown queen from my Italian/Carniolan queen, open mated with the drones in my area (that means she is doing well). I've installed two queens from BeewWeaver this past week. Both Weavers were fine to deal with and the shipping was quick.

The Buckfast queens have not so far produced overly defensive bees, I work them with smoke, a jacket, shorts and bare hands. The Weaver's are just about 150 miles away from me, so they (bees) are adapted pretty well for my area.

BeeWeaver sells survivor queens cross bred with the remnants of their old bee lines and the VSH queens out of the LA bee lab.....with no treatments since 2001. RWeaver still sells many lines of queens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.