Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Yearly business plan - realistic or not? What else should I account for?

Learn how to run a business, beekeeping is easy. Supposedly you already know something about that and can learn the rest. But, if you intend to go into the business of beekeeping learn about business. There are plenty of schools around which teach basic bookkeeping and accounting and taxes and etc.

When oine moves from small scalle to sideline to commercial not only is it the number of colonies, it's how much one is willing to workand whether one knows what is best to do at any one time.

Commercial Beekeeping is a long game. There are few instantaneous returns. If you aren't in it for the long haul, willing to suffer through the lean years then you'd better find something else to do.

"Many are able, few are willing."
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 11-08-2012 at 07:15 AM.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Default Re: Yearly business plan - realistic or not? What else should I account for?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Commercial Beekeeping is a long game. There are few instantaneous returns. If you aren't in it for the long haul, willing to suffer through the lean years then you'd better find something else to do.
    "Many are able, few are willing."
    Very well said, Mark
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Same as any other business. Lots of folks think there is such a thing as a 'get rich quick' business, but those inevitably turn into 'go broke quick' schemes. If your business plan only extends to next quarter or next year, it's not a sustainable business.

I'm sure you are right grozzie2, though I don't do a yearly business plan. I have tried to do them in the past, both Projected and Actual, and have found them discouraging and useless to me. I hate it when I look at things which tell me I am broke and in debt and should have starved to death.

We live in an instant results give it to me quick age. Order at the MacDonalds drive thru and get it when you get to the window. This is what people unrealistically expect and expect to happen in life in general. That's why I said it's a long term game.

I don't know who I am talking to hear. Someone who wants to keep a handfull of hives in their backyard or someone who wants to live off of their bees. Who wants the advice this Thread asks for?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

future commercial migratory beek.

read the book "Beekeepers lament" i great book about John Miller and can open anyone's eyes into the world of commercial beekeeping.

Or come with me to east texas this spring, and after its over in May and you still want to bee a beekeeper, well you might have a future in it.

I would bet a lot of you have asked yourself " why do i do this job?" i know i have

You know why. Because of the places you've been, the things you've experienced, the people you've met, and the sunsets you've seen.

All because your a beekeeper, and you cant beat that.

Business plan should say:
    Keep bees healthy

WEll writ benstung.

I recall the sunrise over the apple orchard when I want to go to a peaceful place.

Many are capable, fewer are willing. Ya gotta be willing to do what it takes to reap the rewards.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456