Thread: What to do?

Default What to do?

1st year bee keeper so please be patent. I have six hives all in a row. Three of my hives are six months or older, but
    is half full of bees. Out of 8 frames only 4-5 frames in each hive has a little brood, pollen and not much honey at all.
    What to do? They all look healthy, but not going anywhere. Should I replace the queens, start feeding sugar water,
    or combine the three for the winter?

Default Re: What to do?

FEED FEED FEED all the syrup they will take
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Are they in single deeps? I'm guessing that you can winter in a single deep.

I'd begin feeding, you seem to have plenty of time. Add some pollen sub/sup if you don't have any pollen coming in.

Good luck.
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Feed syrup for sure, but what is holding your bees back? We are in the same zone and I think about the same rain pattern they should be doing better. I'm guessing mites could be your problem are you treating or do you have treatment free bees? Questions to ask yourself and again feed, but if mites are your problem then you might think about some new queens that are mite resistant.