Default SHB-Small hive beetle-survive through winter?

To whomever feels like answering,

My TBH definitely has SHB, as I have seen them marching around a few of the combs. Didn't do a full inspection so I am not sure how infested the entire hive is but certain there are beetles in there. Does anyone know the likelihood (or unlikelihood) that SHB survive the winter? I am in Southern New York so we can get a relatively harsh winter. My hope is for my bees to make it through the winter (my first winter with bees), and that the SHB, small hive beetles, do not survive. Have not read anywhere about their life cycle. If anyone has the answer, would be appreciated so I know what to expect this coming Spring.
    Thanks to all.

Larry

Default Re: SHB-Small hive beetle-survive through winter?

they can and will survive a winter - they can co-exist in the cluster, and studies have shown that they can even get the workers to feed them. you are farther north than me, so you may have a different experience.

This link says SHBs have been documented to survive in the 10 southern counties in Maine winters (2009):
    http://mainebeekeepers.org/the-bee-l...ogram-summary/
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

I'm not too far from you, and I have had them for a few years, this year is the worst, I have had good luck with AJ's beetle traps, and I have heard that if you sprinkle diatamecous earth on the ground around the hive, you'll kill the SHB ground dwelling larvae...good luck!