Default Divider Boards for Langstroth nucs

I'm thinking about constructing some divider boards for use in Langstroth Deeps.

I have been looking at Mike Palmer's double deep, four frame nucs, and thinking ahead to next year. I am also building more gear this winter, and thinking about how to handle things.

So I'm wondering about making divider boards, which I could use to divide deeps in order to make nucs. I guess they would have to be done well enough to be able to stack them and still have them match up solidly.

Do any of you have any advice on these? Are there ways to construct them so that they come apart easier? Match up easier? Or is it a bad idea all around?

Thanks,

Adam

Default Re: Divider Boards for Langstroth nucs

I made my first this year - I kerf cut a deep box down the middle, slid in a piece of 1/8" lexan, and matched it to a trim strip on the bottom board. Screwed it to the bottom board, and it fits five frames on each side. I then split a deep down the same cut, screwed a panel of 1/8" lexan to the cut on both sides, and left it a little proud on the bottom, and those match up with the bottom deep lexan divider, and I have a pair of five frame double deep nucs. Top isn't super-strong, but I can take it off to inspect, and bottom box could be reverted back to regular duty is need be.

Adam,

This year I made some division board feeders that act as a divider and a feeder for both sides. They fit from top to bottom, are divided in the middle. They have a hole in the top bar for each side so I can fill them without opening. I use a feed bag inner cover so the hive is never really opened.

The nice thing is you can slide then to either side to adjust the volume if you want to.

Tom

You can take a top bar, then cut a 3/4 inch board (Don't have the exact length here in the house,) which will seal off the deep super, nail to the underside of the top bar. In effect you have a deep frame, but, it is a solid board that fits flush on the ends and the bottom board, and it does not have the 3/8 bee space on each end of the end bars, it is solid. Then add 3/4 inch on top of the top bar to bring it flush with the top of the rabett in front and back.

Only problem with this method is, on one side you have 5 frames, then the divider, then 4 frames on the other side of the deep hive body. The beauty of this system is, you simply pick the divider up, just like removing a frame, and you have not altered your deep body in any way. If one side builds faster than the other, you can move the divider to one side or the other. I use a few like this each year. Save your dividers from one year to the next.

Hope this is helpful.

cchoganjr

Thanks for the replies.

Cleo, I am actually using 9 narrow frames in 8 frame deeps for brood. So that will allow me 2 4 frame boxes in a single deep with the divider.

I wonder if the dividers then to get so gummed up with propolis as to be impossible to move...?

Adam

Adam... Mine never have, but, they are not in there that long. Just until the queen is out and laying, and has a frame of her brood capped to show that she is a good queen. The nuc is then transferred to customer hive or one of my 10 framers. Also with the solid board, you could prise along the edge if you had to, but, as i said I have never had a problem with them.

If I were going to use these for overwintering two nucs I would use screen between them to facilitate warmth. Propolizing might be a problem if left over the winter. Don't know, have never done that.

cchoganjr

Arghh.... Cleo, once again I wish I had your years of wisdom on hand before I cut into those boxes....

Nichols 747, AdamFosterCollins. A lot of beekeeping is the little things we learn along the way, one of the the joys of beekeeping is helping others. Perhaps, together we can help others.

cchoganjr

My divders are masonite in the center and you can still ru five frames on each side. I put masonite innercovers that fit each side and keep the masonite centered. If I stack another double on top, I have to make sure the masonite lines up.