Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default community feeders

I have a freind who has over 50 hives. He has about 10 or so in his back yard that he done his grafting and quen rearing from. His wife likes to keep a birdbath full of sugar water that is probably 50 feet away from all the hives.

What are your thoughts on this type of feeding?
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

Default Re: community feeders

If you tried that around my thieving Italians in about 4 hrs there would be so many dead from fighting and robbing none of my hives would make it through winter.
    Good Luck, Mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

I use an outdoor feeder in my home yard. Since this is the yard where I collect my lagging hives, most need feeding. Rather than feeding each individually, this is much simpler. I can place it a good distance and out of sight from the hives. It works fine.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I tried a community feeder last week and had about 200 yellow jackets visit it. The bees were doing great until the yellow jackets showed up and chased all my bees away.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I use an outdoor feeder in my home yard. Since this is the yard where I collect my lagging hives, most need feeding. Rather than feeding each individually, this is much simpler. I can place it a good distance and out of sight from the hives. It works fine.

I like that Idea. Looks cool too.

We are assuming that you mean she only keeps it around when honey supers are not on the hive?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldprospector View Post
    He has about 10 or so in his back yard that he done his grafting and quen rearing from. His wife likes to keep a birdbath full of sugar water that is probably 50 feet away from all the hives.
    Quote Originally Posted by hilreal View Post
    We are assuming that you mean she only keeps it around when honey supers are not on the hive?

I am assuming that because he is doing grafting and queen rearing, his focus in that yard is not honey production.
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

Quote Originally Posted by seyc View Post
    I am assuming that because he is doing grafting and queen rearing, his focus in that yard is not honey production.
    He has about 50 hives but only uses about 10 for honey production. He sells bees, and queens. His honey hives are usually on outyards at other peoples property.

how does the 'top' fit on there, and are there pebbles or something in the trough to prevent drowning?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    how does the 'top' fit on there, and are there pebbles or something in the trough to prevent drowning?
    Are you asking me? If so, the top fits just like any top on a five gallon pail. No pebbles....not enough depth to drown any bees. I drill holes around the top edge of the pail....it works like any friction pail feeder....just bigger than most.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

thanks dan. so you just close up the pail tight and the syrup dribbles in the small gap?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Are you asking me? If so, the top fits just like any top on a five gallon pail. No pebbles....not enough depth to drown any bees. I drill holes around the top edge of the pail....it works like any friction pail feeder....just bigger than most.
    How big are the holes you drill around the perimeter?

Thanks

could you post a picture to show where the holes are drilled in your bucket feeder beemandan?

I tried a community feeder and as others commented, it resulted in tons of yellow jackets, european hornets, and just about everything else but the bees. Video of the results.

Quote Originally Posted by kevvan View Post
    I tried a community feeder and as others commented, it resulted in tons of yellow jackets, european hornets, and just about everything else but the bees. Video of the results.
    I'm wondering if there were flowers blooming while you did this experiment. Bees will typically not visit a community feeder if flowers are blooming while yellow jackets will.

The fall golden rod flow started a few days after this feeder was put out so yes, it is possible that they bees went for something else. I kept the box intact and will try it again next summer after the spring nectar flow.

Quote Originally Posted by tefer2 View Post
    could you post a picture to show where the holes are drilled in your bucket feeder beemandan?
    I added some photos in the photo forum.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...420#post862420

A yellow jacket trap with raw fish near your feeder will draw the yellow jackets away, they are carnivorous . But not the honey bee.

I added some photos in the photo forum.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...420#post862420
    Those pics helped on the bucket feeder. I always thought that they were drilled in the lip.

There are only six hives in my yard, but I'm been feeding them by just setting the boardman feeders by themselves with 2:1 about 100 feet away from the hives.
    There's a few yellow jackets at the feeders, but I've had traps out all summer so the population is very low. I expect them to soon be gone with all the freezes we've been getting. My mutt bees don't seem to fight over the sugar water either. I expect there are also some feral bees attending the feeders too.