Question SAF 9 frame radial extractor query

I am doing some research into 6-9 frame radial extractors and the SAF 9 frame with honey tank keeps coming up as a good contender for me. However I am a little concerned over the plastic/nylon rings in the cage assembly. Can anyone with experience with these extractors comment on how long they hold up? I will not be buying until my tax return comes in so there is no rush.
    Thank you for your time and support.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Default Re: SAF 9 frame radial extractor query

We have used an 18 frame SAF that we sell, that has the polymer reels for the last 8 years. We have never had an issue with it, even while extracting deeps. In the 9 frames, I see much less of a concern. Like all things, it often comes down to cost and the polymer reels save some. The steel is a heavier gauge than most on the unit and it is very easy to disassemble and clean. I would have no concerns with this unit. However, if you were to use it for weeks, hours a day--you would certainly consider other brands out there. However, for most hobbyists or small sideliners--it will provide many years of quality use and is a great option for the budget-minded.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

mmmooretx,

I own one and have used it for 10+yrs now. I love the "cage" assembly. The wax and honey clean up easy, the propolis tends to stay unless you scrape it gently. It is not fragile and has shown no wear.

The reason that I love it is because it takes 30 seconds to remove the top/motor/crank. It takes another 30 seconds to lift out the cage. Then you have unfettered access to the sidewalls for scraping or cleaning. You can also lube the bottom bearing with no effort.

Don't worry about the cage/reel -- Fuzzy

I also have this unit and have been using it for many years. I bought mine used and its still in perfect condition. I recently started using a dadant 12 frame motorized, which was a big relief on my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    I also have this unit and have been using it for many years. I bought mine used and its still in perfect condition. I recently started using a dadant 12 frame motorized, which was a big relief on my shoulder.
    I also have a query posted with Brushy Mountain whether their Baldor motor upgrade fits the SAF 9 frame radial with honey tank.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Quote Originally Posted by mmmooretx View Post
    I also have a query posted with Brushy Mountain whether their Baldor motor upgrade fits the SAF 9 frame radial with honey tank.
    I got my reply and the Baldor motor fits both of the SAF 9 frame extractors. I was leaning towards the unit with the stainless honey tank, but am now seriously looking at the other unit as 5 gallon buckets with a honey gate is cheaper than $200 for a second tank. Oh well now waiting for tax time/return for a big order with BM...
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post

Hi Do you still have you SAF 9 frame motorized extractor? I am looking for the owners manual or wiring diagram for the older units (late 90s) I just purchased one and it turns on but I can not get it to spin