Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newly assembled hive body not square.

I assembled a new hive body that is not at all square. It is all glued and I used screws to put it together as they did not sen the correct nails. The first three I assembled came out perfect so I did not fuss over this one. I am hoping they send a replacement, but in the future I will check the corners better. Is there any remedy as you assemble and find the box is not square. Could I have used wood putty or glue mixed with shavings to fill the gaps, or did I mess up?

Default Re: Newly assembled hive body not square.

I use a square when I build boxes. I believe those build lots make a jig to ensure the boxes are square.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

How out of square is it? The bees will fill any gaps with propolis.

I don't check my boxes for being square. I want them to sit flat and look square to the eye.

Tom

image.jpgimage.jpg

Lines up one side, pretty poorly the rest.
    Last edited by FollowtheHoney; 04-04-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Add picture and explanation

take the screws out. get the box as warm as you can without burning it, this will soften most glues. push it square or put a block on it and give her a couple of taps with a computer adjusting tool. being a traditionalist I prefer a 10 pounder with a hickory handle to use for major computer adjustments. you may need to clamp it as you put the screws back in after it cools down...next time use a square, I also make sure they sit flat on a table saw as I go

Thanks Mathesonequip, I will try that and count on the bees to fill the gaps.

When you assemble your boxes, put a nail or screw at the top and bottom of each front and sides. then use a square to insure that it is square. If not, stand the box on a corner and press down until the box is square. Then put the remaining nails or screws in the box. At this time, also check to make sure it is level. Place it on a smooth surface and if it is not level, place a heavy weight, (a concrete block works well) and leave over night.

Only takes a few seconds to insure that it is square and level.

cchoganjr

Make sure you put them together on a nice flat, level table. I use corner clamps and a framing square when I put them together.

I tried making a jig, but ended up getting them cockeyed using it. I picked up some corner clamps and it helped to square them up nicely.

Well, it is not perfect, but much better. I will definitely get some corner clamps for next time.
    image.jpg

I can't believe this happens to everyone...I ordered hives assembled and unassembled just so I could lieve the joy!.....I live and learn!

real easy way to square up is to measure them diagonally and tap them to the diagonal measurements are equal. using a square can throw you off a little if the sides are bowed

If there is a bow in one of the boards it will never be square.

I think the posters problem is out of square diagonally. Twist, and not sitting level is another problem. Of course they could be in combination I suppose. PVA glues will creep slowly with load and heat so slow application of pressure would be preferred to thumping the box.

Where did you get the boxes? In your picture of the "repaired" box, it looks like the finger joints on the top box are cut too shallow and the box on the bottom appears to have them cut too deep, or you didn't seat them properly when assembling the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    Where did you get the boxes? In your picture of the "repaired" box, it looks like the finger joints on the top box are cut too shallow and the box on the bottom appears to have them cut too deep, or you didn't seat them properly when assembling the boxes.
    They came from Brushy Mtn, It does sit flat thankfully. I think the problem was with the joints and because I used screws I pulled them tight to close the gaps and as a result put it askew.
    The boards don't appear bowed and were assembled the day after I rec'd them.

It looks like your fix did the job.

I have boxes with loose finger joints. Glue, nails/screws get it tight enough for the bees to finish the job. But, I have never had one that out of square before. I would guess/hope that is the worst one you will ever run into.

Tom

I put a couple staples in and measure from corner to opposite corner and make sure they are less than 1/8" difference and the boxes come out nice and square. Once they are square I'll shoot the rest of the staples.

Quote Originally Posted by FollowtheHoney View Post
    Well, it is not perfect, but much better. I will definitely get some corner clamps for next time.
    image.jpg
    That will work just fine!

There are some tricks to getting them together properly, as I discovered my first year in beekeeping when I managed to get mine not only out of square, but out of flat, too. Kelley boxes, nothing wrong with the parts, but once you drive that first nail wrong, it goes down hill!

I've found it almost always necessary to nail them so that the nails draw the fingers tight. You can do this with screws too, but you have to watch that you get both sides of the joint tight on the first couple. Not all that hard to end up with wonky boxes. I check after a single fastener in both ends of each board -- once it's square, it will almost always stay that way as you nail or screw it up.

They really look funny if you use a 10 frame short side and an 8 frame short side on the other end of the box....

Peter

It looks much better now I use a big metal L shaped square when I build them. I get them somewhat stapled and check them then adjust them then throw the final staples in. Like Cleo said I have made a few that were off. It happens... but you seem to have done a nice job of fixing it. Are you going to paint them now?