Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Which staple gun?

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Mbeck 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a recomondation for a reasonably priced staple gun to screen in Nucs and hives in with?
I have one that takes size t-25 staples (cable U shaped) it works Ok, it doesn't have quite enough power and doesn't hold enough staples.
Important features :
One handed use.
Universally availible staples
Decent power to drive staples into harder bottom board.
Setting so that staples aren't completely driven in so they are easy to remove.

Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
You didn't mention if you had limitations like it has to be hand powered or electric. But I have a stanley electric that has variable settings and it has done will for me for what I use it for. For frames and other jobs I like my 2 n 1 stapler/nailer (air gun)harbor freight, I got it for like 20 bucks and the only time I had an issue with it, it was my fault because I had the pressure turned too far down. If you catch it on sale you can get their pancake compressor for like 39 bucks I think it was, my whole set up was less than a 100 $. I have put together hundreds of frames and multiple nucs and I like it.

#4 ·
Mbeck correct me if I am wrong. You are looking for a hand held staple gun to tack screen to a bottom board, perhaps to a hive body.

If so, for this purpose I use a Stanley/Bostitch, cost about $18.00, available at Lowe's and Home Depot, others. One hand operation, strong enough to drive two or three different lengths of staples into bottom boards, etc. It uses Stanley TRA 700 series staples and standard Arrow T-50 staples also.

Only drawback is, it has a heavy spring, but is no problem to activate as long as the stapler is level on your wood. I believe you would be happy with this stapler.

Hope this will help you.

cchoganjr

#6 ·
Why bother to staple screen on your entrances? If you are using a 3/8 opening that goes across the front of the hive why not use 1/8 in. Hard cloth and cut is in strips 3 inches wide by the length of you hive opening and then fold it over and slide the folded side into the entrance until it is blocked and air can still get thru then when you get to where you are going then a puff of smoke and pull it out do it all the time with no problems.

#8 · (Edited)
Why bother to staple????

About 1/2 of the folks who pick up bees at my location put them in the back of an SUV, or back seat of a car. Most are not experienced bee keepers and I do not want them getting out inside a car going 70MPH on I-65. I also gorilla tape the inner cover to the deep hive body and screen the hole in the inner cover, and leave the top off.

I have devised a blocking system that I use on hives that goes on with two small nails. Makes it easy to block the entrance and to remove when they get home. I will try to get a photo and post it

Gyspi...You are right, the Stanley/Bostich does a good job but, it is loud when you staple.

cchoganjr

#11 ·
Here is a photo of the system I use to close Nucs and Hives for customer pickup. The screen provides ventilation, is quick and easy to attach and remove. The small nailes are already started so, you walk up to hive, gently scrap the bees on the bottom board back into the hive and tap the small nails. After bees are relocated, it is easier to pull the two small nails than it is to try and remove staples from the bottom board and deep super.

I use the Stanley/Bostich staper described above to staple the #8 screen to the closure.

cchoganjr

Wood Plywood Hardwood Furniture Shelf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.