Hybrid View

Default Removing attachmentpoints

Of all the things that might irritate the girls,removing the attachment points seems to be the worse. Is that your experience? How Can it be made less traumatic? Mike

Default Re: Removing attachmentpoints

That's what gets them the maddest at me. I haven't found a way to make it less traumatic for them.
    That foriegn blade still has to stab down between the comb and wall of the hive and shove them out
    of the way to get to the attachment. They don't like it. I don't think they will ever get used to it.
    That's what makes inspecting the hive from the back with all those honeycombs a pain.
    That's why they calm down when I get into the broodnest. They don't reattach them as much.
    Last edited by Steven Ogborn; 09-15-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Try lightly touching the bees that are in the way of the blade with the tip of your finger as you draw the blade upward giving them time to move out of the way. Smooth and steady.

A little smoke before you work the hive also.

This year I did something different when removing top bars. I took my hive tool and pried one side apart from the other. If the side didn't move with the top bar, try the other side. Odds are if you can get one side to move easily, you can continue to turn that side until the other side comes free. You still occasionally have to cut attachments, but the bees don't get pissed. You also have to watch carefully. If you see or feel the slightest resistance, then you must immediately stop.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Next spring I am thinking of building frames for my TBH to give that idea a whirl. I am thinking it will work quite well. This should eliminate the need for support comb alltogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Next spring I am thinking of building frames for my TBH to give that idea a whirl. I am thinking it will work quite well. This should eliminate the need for support comb alltogether.
    Oh no.... now you've gone and done it.
    Integrity - Doing the right thing when no one is watching.