Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Yellow Jacket war...

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Charlie B 
#1 ·
So one of my hives are cleaning up after my extraction... I stole the middle honey super and put the top half super in its place and unfortunately a few bees were loss in the process. I 'think' the hive was cleaning up and tossing the dead bodies out front and the last few days I've noticed tons of yellow jackets; actually fighting with my bees and going under the platform I have my hive on top of. When one flew to the fence carrying the head of a bee I figured thats enough and I better help.... (day 1).

so I put out a yellow jacket trap and reduced the entrances to the hive... I am assuming they are after BEES, not HONEY, right????
(day 2).

Last night the trap only had about 5 yellow jackets in it and there were still many yellow jackets hunting on the ground under the platform but not at the entrance as before. The bees were busy at work still bringing in pollen, no fighting. Does this make sense or do I need to worry about them actually going after honey? thanks!

#3 ·
yeah a reply! I am disappointed I did not get more from the bait that comes with the trap and will switch it out for a little smelly catfood tonight. thanks! I wouldn't care if they were doing 'clean up' but the bees attack them I think and then they lose...

#4 ·
I have one of those green traps that catches both hornets (through the bottom) and wasps (through the top). It has caught 4 wasps and no hornets. My homemade trap has caught WAY more hornets and yellow jackets than the bought trap. I mean dozens within a week (less time out than the bought trap). I used apple cider vinegar this time around and it worked very quickly.

I have to agree with the protein suggestion. You can cover both bases: use a few protein traps and a few sugar traps. I can give you the sugar recipe (I found it here on beesource), if you are interested.

#5 ·
Thanks suburban rancher. I put meat in the trap as suggested and I kid you not, an hour or so later every single yellow jacket was in the trap. There must be about 50 of them and I see no more along the ground. I am happy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.