Thread: Is this SHB?

Default Is this SHB?

I got behind on my inspections and apparently had a hive go queenless and now they're practically dead.......only about a cup full of bees left. This hive made it through last winter (barely) and boomed throughout the spring and summer. Last year we spotted a couple of SHB and I immediately installed traps and was hopeful that I had eliminated most of them. I haven't seen any beetles all summer but did start to notice a few larva on the bottom board back toward the end of July. I haven't seen this before and am wondering if these "tracks" that I'm seeing on these frames are indeed from SHB. If so, will freezing the frames kill the SHB and larva? I sure hope so because they're in the freezer right now!

Default Re: Is this SHB?

Look more like wax moth larvae webs. From what I understand SHB larvae do not make webs - they make slime.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

That is Wax Moth Damage..... I would put the frames in the deep freezer for a few days, then use your hive tool to clean out the larva. did the frames come out of a weak hive?

Thanks for the responses, this is just my third year beekeeping and this is the first time that I've seen this. The combs came out of a hive that was practically dead, they were queenless and only had about a cup full of bees left. The frames are in the freezer now!