Default Two Queens one Hive

First year beekeeper hear, had 2 hives since May and they have been doing great, queens laying lots of bees. Found a few queen cells the last month or so but have always found my marked queens. Last week my mentor told me of a swarm and help me catch it, went smoth and bees have been in my yard for a week. Checked them a few days ago and could not find a queen or sign of one. So I asked my Mentor to come to help me find my queen and check out my other hives. Went out today and sure enough no queen in new hive, I had put in a frame of brood a few days ago and they had started to raise a queen. He told me it was to late in the year to wait on them to raise a queen and suggested that I order a mated one. So we inspected my first hive and got down to the brood box and found my marked queen on the second frame we pulled out. while checking a couple of more frames, he spoted a unmarked queen on a frame 3 over from the one we found the marked queen. I would have missed her if he was not with me, not good a spotting unmarked queens yet. With his help was able to catch her, marke her, cager her, and move her to the new Hive. What a learning experance today.

Guess it was my lucky day.

Default Re: Two Queens one Hive

A month ago, my son and I worked about 60 hives one day. We unintentionally spotted 2 queens in 3 of the 60 hives.

Crazy Roland

Sounds like a lucky day for sure

Let us know when you see eggs in that hive that was queenless. When did you mentor recommend checking for eggs?
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

I will do that Lburou. She will be in a Queen cage for a few days and then we will she what happens. Also not sure if she has mated or not yet.

If she hasn't mated will she be inclined to go back to the original hive that she came from after her maiden flight?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    If she hasn't mated will she be inclined to go back to the original hive that she came from after her maiden flight?
    True Acebird, if she has seen the light of day and gone outside her original hive to mate....If not, she will go back to the new hive . I think it is a crap shoot whether she is mated and which hive she returns to. To control of the outcome, take the new hive to your mentor's bee yard and let the queen and bees sort things out there (assuming three miles separation) and bring it home in a week or ten days (after possible mating flights have concluded). As Acebird points out, a mated queen will return to the original hive if she ever leaves the new hive -unless she swarms someday.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)