Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Making "Comb Honey" Good or Bad..

I am thinking of doing a box of comb honey next season. I was checking out the Rossman Apiaries catalog and the "Ross Rounds" 10 frame is $95.
    My question is, is comb honey worth doing? What do they sell for at a farmers market? Also, is this a good or bad thing to be doing? Any advise from someone with experience making comb honey would be appreciated. Any advise on marketing it would also help..

Default Re: Making "Comb Honey" Good or Bad..

Some bees take to it some have to be coaxed. Best advice would be to crowd the bees, place your ross super on and monitor, sometime you can add the ross super and your normal super you use above that.
    When I say crowd the bees, I mean if you have double brood chambers, place your brood and honey and pollen into bottom box , so your bees are oozing out. Then they will draw the rounds and round round we go, wee hoo! where we stop no one knows.....

Thumbs down Re: Making "Comb Honey" Good or Bad..

Cheaper to buy it then produce it. I produced 111 supers this year and I would bet I lot that many supers by producing it.

Why make section comb honey, and have to deal with all the management involved with forcing the bees to work in the sections. Why not make cut comb. Not really much to it. If you can get an extracting super with wired foundation drawn and filled, you can do the same with comb honey foundation.

I put on 300 supers this year. We're still cutting it up, but looks like there's 6-8,000 cuts. At $5@, is that not worth it?

Michael, how do you find a market for 6-8000 cuts @ $5? I hardly ever get people requesting cut comb honey, maybe its a local thing for you. John

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Michael, how do you find a market for 6-8000 cuts @ $5? I hardly ever get people requesting cut comb honey, maybe its a local thing for you. John

Took some time to develop the market, but most of the comb honey I sell goes to beekeepers who can't make enough honey to supply their customers. Same as my extracted honey. Almost all goes to beekeepers who can't make enough honey.

It's a cultural thing. In Va you couldn't produce enough comb honey but here in Indiana I have to explain to people what it is, what you do with, how to eat it....you mean you really put wax in your mouth!

Other than a few local Vermont products stores that want to carry my comb honey, nearly all goes to beekeepers to supply their customers. Most winds up in the Boston and New York City markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    you can do the same with comb honey foundation.

I put on 300 supers this year. We're still cutting it up, but looks like there's 6-8,000 cuts. At $5@, is that not worth it?
    Your using comb honey foundation? Are you not concerned about contaminates in the wax? If I was doing cut comb, I'd let the bees build natural comb.
    Regards, Barry

I use comb honey foundation, i cut 2 in. wide strips and put them in med. frames, they will draw the foundation to the bottom of the frame with new wax. I can get eight 8oz slabs from one frame and sell it in a clear plastic sandwich box for $4.00, thats $32.00 a frame x 10. Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Your using comb honey foundation? Are you not concerned about contaminates in the wax? If I was doing cut comb, I'd let the bees build natural comb.
    Sorry, I don't buy into the contaminated foundation bit. And as far as foundationless goes...I'd like to see someone make as much comb as I do without using foundation. I like my comb honey without drone cocoons.

Last edited by greengecko; 09-23-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: self delete - ancient secret

here is a french study but only looking for beeks chemicals in wax

http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/w...%3BMatches&z=4
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

marryanne frazer's study on wax contamination

please note I don't have the time today to read them, just the summaries.
    mike syracuse ny

a post by loyd speer about the french testing and testing he did on wax and his contacts with the manufacurer's

hopefully enough information to make an informed judgement.
    mike syracuse ny

Thanks Mike.

Honey Bees Suffer From Pesticide Buildup

The researchers presented their analysis of pollen, brood, adult bees and wax samples today (Aug. 18) at the 236th national American Chemical Society meeting in Philadelphia. Those results show unprecedented levels of fluvalinate and coumaphos -- pesticides used in the hives to combat varroa mites -- in all comb and foundation wax samples. They also found lower levels of 70 other pesticides and metabolites of those pesticides in pollen and bees.

"Everyone figured that the acaricides (anti-varroa mite chemicals) would be present in the wax because the wax is reprocessed to form the structure of the hives," says Maryann Frazier, senior extension associate. "It was a bit of a shock to see the levels and the widespread presence of these pesticides."

"That said, a couple of years ago I had occassion to have some wax tested for contamination and the readings were far, far higher than those that have been reported here (in the past couple of days). This wax was being sold as capping wax, but had been sold to a rendering house by a well-known commercial beekeeper."

"Something (unknown) in the manufacturing process is removing the coumaphous and fluvalinate."

- Lloyd Spear

Still leaves the subject matter quite muddy. Looks like we know for sure that cappings wax is contaminated and foundation is still testing positive for chemicals. Manufacturers are reducing the levels through their process, but it appears it is a hit or miss sort of thing across the industry.
    Regards, Barry

So whatcha gonna do Barry?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

to produce honey comb there is a cost in honey to produce that wax.

Based on info that it takes 30 grams of wax to hold 1 kg of honey I have done the following calculation.

Or 1kg of honey comb is the equivalent of 1.32 kg of honey.

You need to decide on the labour cost of honey comb verses extracting honey

the set out of the table looks good at the moment but may not look too good when posted.

I sell cut honey comb at my local market based on $38 per kg, that gives me a honey price of $29 kg.

I sell honey in 1 kg plastic tug (tub cost $0.85 plus label) for $10

HONEY COMB PRODUCTION
    ECONOMICS

Assumptions
    Wax to store 1 kg honey 3% 46 gm
    Honey to produce 46 gm of wax 322 gm

1 Kg honey comb equivalent to 1.322 kg honey

Acceptable Minimum
    Honey price Honey comb
    Equivalent

$5.... $6.61
    $6.... $7.93
    $7.... $9.25
    $8... $10.58
    $9...... $11.90
    $10.... $13.22
    $11 .... $14.54
    $12.... $15.86
    $13.... $17.19
    $14.... $18.51
    $15.... $19.83
    $16.... $21.15
    $17.... $22.47
    $18.... $23.80
    $19.... $25.12
    $20... $26.44

I pull out a frame early in the season (as soon as it is capped) cut it up on the cooling tray and make cut comb. It is like the first tomato of the year. We put it in the plastic containers at under $0.25 and freeze it. Put the frame back in and let them do it over. I am obviously not in the same class as the other posters but the sell at our farmers market for $9 each (4" sqauares)
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

I sell by the super for $130 Avg. 33 lbs of honey. That works out to just under $4 a lb. For even super of comb honey, I could have produced 2 production supers. Wholesale honey price at $2.25 a lb X 66 lbs I'm at $148 and I still have the equipment. The only reason I sell the comb honey is to move the other 50-60 tons of honey, and it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast