Default Fall Feeding ? 2:1

Just double checking. Fall feeding is 2:1. That is two parts sugar one part water? Thank you!

Default Re: Fall Feeding ? 2:1

Yep! I'm getting started a little late, but it's heating on the stove right now!

Hi Sally, You're pretty far south so technically it may still be "summer" for you. My understanding is that as the bees prepare for winter they do several things. Namely they build up stores and they build a population of "winter bees". The foragers of late summer and early fall do not survive the winter. So late summer/early fall is brood rearing of the winter bees. Even though the total hive population is beginning to drop, new bees that will live several months instead of weeks are being reared. Right now (southeast USA) the bees need pollen and nectar to feed that brood. I am feeding 1:1 for a few more weeks, until say the end of September here in nothern VA. Then I will switch to 2:1 for October until I see they stop taking it. If there is no fall flow going on where you are and the bees don't have a pollen source, you might consider pollen supplement too. Goldenrod is going crazy near my hives right now now and the girls are working their little heads off foraging. It almost looks like the spring flow in front of my hives.
    Last edited by Irmo; 09-13-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo

Very true! Up here in WA, it could get cool and wet anytime now. Thus highlighting once again, that on some level, I really think that I am the center of the universe...

My undersrtanding is that it is weight basis for 1:1 or 2:1.

Two volumes to one volume is close to a 5:3 and a good syrup for winter.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Golden rod is going good here in GA, got plenty of time to feed.