Default Fall flow in Connecticut?!

As a newbie I'm still trying to figure out the timing of these things!! The golden rod seems to be in full bloom & the girls are busy and I'm not sure if I should leave the supers on and hope they finish filling them up? Or should I take them off now??
    I still have 3 supers on, 2 are mostly filled and capped, the 3rd is 70% drawn and has a fair amount of thick dark honey filling the cells.
    Since this is my first year and they started as a 5 frame nuc, I'm pretty happy with the results. I do no want to wait too long to take them off though.
    Any suggestions??
    Thanks

Default Re: Fall flow in Connecticut?!

Unless there is a reason for needing them off right away, I'd leave them on until the flow stops. That's my plan this year in Maine.

This assumes you have ample stores in the lower boxes for overwintering.

Wayne

Thanks for the input. That's my plan then. No rush to get them off.
    Wayne, how is the flow up north?
    We have had our first few chilly nights (40's) here. Will this cause the queen to start slowing down or will the warm days keep her going?

jealous of your crop!

good luck

Thanks Capt.
    What do you have for bees?

A few frames in one super were not yet ripened enough to extract. I took off the ripe frames and left the unripe frames in the super. I knew I shouldn't leave empty space in a super, but I knew I'd be back in one week to clean things up, and I figured the flow was slowing down. This was Labor Day weekend.

Wrong. The goldenrod was in heavy flow. They not only ripened and capped the nectar I left behind, they drew out two new combs on the lid of my cover, filled it and capped it in one week. A bit of a mess.

Attaching photo here.
    IMG_20120908_143812_671c.jpg

I live not too far south from Wayne and the goldenrod flow has pretty much been a bust around these parts. I went to a local bee club meeting on Monday where the state apiarist spoke about fall treatments and wintering hives. He noted that the goldenrod flow here in Maine has been really spotty and pretty minor in most places. He said that, in his experience, drought conditions in July (which we experienced) really hurt the goldenrod flow - no matter how much rain is received in August and September. I thought it was a pretty interesting observation.