Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using Mite Away Quick Strips + Results

Evening #1- Application
    I tried Mite Away Quick Strips for the first time today in 4 hives, each with double 10" deep brood supers (2 treatment pads between both brood supers), a queen excluder, a 10" deep honey super, a top inner cover and lid. Everything went smooth. I replaced SBB (screened bottom board) plastic insert for treatment. The funny thing is that several drones conjugated at hive entrance after. Everything looks good. No dead bees (YET). Will check in the morning for varroa mite drop on the SSB inserts.

Morning/ Day#1
    Out of the 4 test hives on the first morning, there were about 100 dead bees on each of the hive entrances. It's still early, so I will keep you updated on the foraging later today. There were an equal amount of dead varroa mites on the SSB. It it a heavy duty treatment, make no doubt about it. But a mite free hive has to be stronger in the long run.
    Morning/ Day #2

Bee deaths are starting to subside. We now have a combined total (morning #1 and morning #2 ) of around 200-300 dead bees and 5 dead brood larvae at each hive entrance. Like I said before, this product may be deemed 'natural', but it is a serious chemical and should be taken seriously. It appears to be doing its job, I have counted numerous mites on the SBBs and I know that there are probably many dead in the comb that I cant yet count. Current estimated total varroa mite count is approximately 400 mites per hive found dead on the SBB since initial application (currently 2 days).

I will keep you updated...
    Last edited by nativesong; 07-21-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Default Re: Using Mite Away Quick Strips + Results

If I may ask, what have your daytime and evening temps been since the beginning of your application. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by stajerc61 View Post
    If I may ask, what have your daytime and evening temps been since the beginning of your application. Thank you.
    Daytime temps have been in the mid 50's at night and around 80 in the day. Now thinking about the initial application, I am glad that I started on the lower end of the temperature spectrum. It is my belief that increased temperatures may have caused increased evaporation rates for the formic acid patties, causing the release of a higher amount of fumes. They say that after the 3rd day, the fumes begin to decrease. Their temp threshold I believe is 50-93 degrees, I don't know if suggested temperatures really account for outdoor and in-hive humidity found across the nation.
    Last edited by nativesong; 07-21-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nativesong View Post
    They say that after the 3rd day, the fumes begin to decrease.
    "They" are way off.
    After day 3 the treatment is over.
    At day 5, you can reach in with you bare hands, pick up the strip and touch it to the end of your nose and take a big snif.
    Yeah, it smells like formic, but the vapor volume is ziltch.
    It takes a minimum of 24 grams of formic to vaporize to have any effect on mites.
    By day 3 of MAQS you are probably down to 2 0r 3 grams which kills nothing.
    Remember, this is a FLASH treatment. And an effective one.
    Make sure to get back to the hives to queencheck between days 5 - 7.
    Formic flash treatments have always killed a % of queens and this one is proving to be no different.
    Watch the bee journals, scientific data to be published shortly.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    After day 3 the treatment is over.
    I didn't think that "they" were that far off at all... That is exactly what happened; and for me, at the middle of the second day the bees began to return to normal (as much as they could after such an ordeal)... There are a lot of factors on how quickly the pad vaporizes. You won't find me sniffing formic acid pads any time in the near future (and I don't recommend that anyone sniffs caustic chemicals, EVER)... I agree with you on the queen check, I will no doubt find out soon if it killed queens.

Wonder what if anyone has tried using just one of the pads vs two? I know of guys using half a dose of apiguard in warmer temps.
    George Brenner @ www.valleyhoneyco.com
    Mesa, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by G B View Post
    Wonder what if anyone has tried using just one of the pads vs two? I know of guys using half a dose of apiguard in warmer temps.
    Maybe, but I would hate to waste the money if I was not able to have good results. I think that one should consider, If the treatment was designed for a 2 brood super... If you had a single brood super, it may work... I had a mortality rate of 400 dead bees per hive on the 2 x 10" brood supers + 10" honey super combo hives, so it may bee a bit too strong for my particular hive size at a 80 degree daytime high. If I were to consider reducing the dose, it would be subtracting from the recommended dose... 1 3/4 pad, 1+1/2 patty, etc.; not by half for economic reasons, but reduced for functionality, effectiveness and to reduce the hive mortality rate.

Highs here have been reaching high 90s and low 100s regularly... am I going to have to wait until fall to treat? I am in the process of my first sticky board test to see just how bad off I am...

Quote Originally Posted by jones View Post
    Highs here have been reaching high 90s and low 100s regularly... am I going to have to wait until fall to treat? I am in the process of my first sticky board test to see just how bad off I am...
    I would not treat with MAQS in those temps. I will tell you out of experience, it WILL kill your bees, brood and the queen if you dont take her out first. Even if you crack the lid (which can cause robbing), unless the hive is SUPER strong, at those temps the / fumic acid in my opinion will fume to a toxic level and the likelihood of finding a dead hive are very real. If you have a serious mite issue; I would definitely treat in August, and if the temps are too high, try a different less harmful product. People say that fall is too late to treat, as the hive will have trouble gaining its strength back before winter.

nativesong
    Why are people learning the hard way? The active contents is nothing else than formic and you should already know, formic is not only a mite killer.
    You can make your pads and it cost only pennies or you can buy them, no differences.

Im finished with my mite treatment for this season, like several years in a row, instead using formic pads I go for thymol.
    It is not important how many mites you have on the sticky paper; it is important how many mites are left in the colony.
    Three weeks after the second thymol strip is in, there is almost no mite drop anymore. During treatment I had zero dead bees and never lost a queen. The mite level is now not detectable, IMO close to 1%. I checked almost all fresh closed cells on one side of a whole drone frame and found not one mite at the end of the treatment.
    The instruction says put the strip on top of the frames. if it is to hot, I place the strips under the brood on the bottom board, works great too.

Axtmann: Would you use Thymomite strips when temps are 35 to 40 C or wait for a cool down?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Jim lyon

I used the strips when we had approx 35C and had no problems. The brood nest in the hive has also temperatures like this. I place the strips away from the brood in the corners, but on top of the frames. Some days with even higher temperatures I placed the strip under the frames, away from the entrance and there were also no visible problems. I also cut strips horizontal in half with a paper cutter and placed them on part in the back and the other part in front. This worked best for me, not to much strong fumes from one side.

You can play with it without running in trouble like with formic. If you place the strip cross the frames it evaporates on both sides from the strip (normal temperatures). If you place the strip along with the frame it evaporates most from one side (temperatures in the high ranges).

You must live in a paradise with temperatures like 40C. I have to go to Spain on holyday for this temperatures.

Thanks Axtmann, actually it's hardly a paradise, many folks refer to it as a drought I just consider it typical weather patterns in the western plains from Texas through North Dakota in July and August. When we get heat like this it often comes with hot dry winds and turns the country brown pretty quickly. I don't mean to suggest that there arent areas of significant drought just that rainfall tends to taper off later in the summer.
    Last edited by jim lyon; 08-06-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: additional info
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I am using MAQS on my colony but I have an issue with placement..... Instructions say place the strips above the brood box on top bars, or between the two brood boxes on a two box setup. The problem is I am running two deeps and all of the brood rearing is in the top deep. So I am putting the strips above the top box directly above brood.... I hope and believe this is right and I will let you all know how it turns out.
    Evening #1 Put strips on top of upper brood box. Weather 66 degrees, M Cloudy
    Morning #1 15 dead bees on landing board, rained overnight. Weather 64 Deg. and Misty

Noon Day 1 @10 more dead bees and 20 pupa hauled out on landing board. I can see hundreds of dead mites at the entrance!! Bees are flying @30 coming and going per minute. Weather is the same.

randy oliver has a new article coming out on maqs.

http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/w...&F=&S=&P=52903

I've got an article of my most recent test of MAQS coming out in ABJ, with a
    photo of the brood kill. It is variable from hive to hive, dependent upon
    ventilation, and apparently some innate difference in bee response to formic
    that varies from hive to hive.

In most hives, with MAQS applied without added ventilation, the bees removed
    some brood, and the queens stopped laying for about 4 days. Overall, there
    was about an 8-day break. However, some hives largely "ignore" the strips,
    and you don't see as much affect upon the brood.

Jeremy (who also posts to the List) recently used MAQS on hives with high
    mite levels, yet saw mites still alive after treatment. I do not know
    whether the male mites were killed, which would have a delayed effect. I am
    interested in hearing his report a month or so from now.

Randy Oliver

there are other posts available icluding Jeremy.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

There is a certain type of drone cell that the vapor does not penetrate.
    If you have nice white burr comb between the brood boxes that contain drone brood, or brand new drone cells at the bottom of your frames, the vapor seems to kill all of the mites in those cells.
    But is you have old frames that have patches of old drone cells, the vapor DOES NOT penetrate and kill mites in those cells.
    Therefore, the condition of your frames can have a large impact on the "re-seeding" of varroa in your hives.
    Also, let me toss this little salvo out into the discussion:
    I think the "killing the male mite" bit is nothing but a distraction.
    But I don't want to get ahead of myself. Some very interesting details to follow!
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Morning Day 2@ 12 dead bees on board and 8 pupa. Active this morning... they look happier than I have seen them in the past weeks. HEAVY mite kill on the BB. Easily in the 1000's. Weather 66 Deg and overcast

Evening day 2 3 dead bees and 2 pupa. mite drop has slowed. Lots of orientation flights Weather 74 Deg and sunny

Morning day 3 1 dead bee. 2 pupa Weather sunny 69 Deg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast