Thread: Nuc Design

Question Nuc Design

I want to lay in a few nuc boxes for next season, and try to manage swarming by taking off frames with queen cells and making up nucs from them.

I have never worked with nuc boxes and so would like to hear feedback from users on design points.

I would also like to ask if using a standard hive body with dummy boards taking up the extra space at either end would also be an option.

Regards,
    Janet

Default Re: Nuc Design

Of course a standard 10 frame box can be used. Just take up space with some kind of boards or styrofoam sheets.

I like 5 frame nucs, built just like standard equipment, except, nine inches across front and back. Detachable bottom board. Migratory tops.

cchoganjr

Cleo, what are migratory tops?

Thanks!
    Janet, noob

This thread has a large following. Nuc boxes can always come in handy.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ght=Coates+nuc
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Do a search for D.Coates nuc boxes and you will find a nice pattern to make four nuc boxes from one sheet of plywood really cheap
    I payed 16 dollars for a sheet of 1/2 inch at home depot that makes each box about four dollars can't beat that . Johns Bees

personaly hate migratory tops on nucs. weak hives (nucs) are real prone to robbing and pest in the cracks left my migratory covers

Migratory tops are just flat tops, made from Advantec or Plywood.

gmcharlie... Don't undestand what you mean, "pest in the cracks left my migratory covers."

Migratory tops on nucs are sealed with propolis just like on other equipment. There is no reason they would not fit flush with the boxes, I don't have any problems with them.

cchoganjr

If you are only going to use your nucs seasonally and not al year round, the Coates nuc is easy to build and inexpensive.

1/2" flat tops work fine. If you paint them there won't be as prone to warp in the [sic] Wetsern BC rain. If they start to, a bricck on each end solve the problem nicely.

If you are going to use them year round, you might consider making them 4 frame, 8 1/8" wide.
    Two of these fit nicely on top of a ten frame box. If you decide to over some nucs to compensate for possible winter losses, they make good supers for winter stores over a 10 frame box divided into a double nuc.

I am ovewintering nucs, but much prefer the versatility of the 4 frame box over either 5 frame or Coates nucs.
    5 narrow (1 1/4') frames will fit into the narrower nuc, if you insist on 5 frame nucs.

Beregondo, forgive my noob questions...I like the idea of overwintering 2 nucs on a 10 frame box, which I take it has frames of stores in it, divided in half by a solid board to keep the nuc populations separate?

Why do you prefer the 4 frame nuc box over the 5?

Many thanks,
    Janet

For making those tops, get to know a housing contractor or two..(Give them a jar of honey to save their scrap Advantec for you) Contractors use it for subflooring. It will not warp. I get enough small pieces from them for the tops for nucs. The vast majority of contractors just throw away or burn small pieces. Sometimes get a piece or two large enough for a 10 or 13 frame body.

cchognjr

Quote Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
    Why do you prefer the 4 frame nuc box over the 5?

Many thanks,
    Janet
    Mostly because if you put a divider into a 10 frame to make a double nuc, the 4 frames fit just right on top.
    You can use them as supers to hold overwinter stores, or as a surround for a jar or pail feeder in spring/summer.
    With brood below and stores above, the nucs winter well, and really take off in spring.