Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

World Record Honey Crop

12K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Fivej 
#1 ·
From wikipedia. Whats this guys secret!!!

"However, a Mr. Rob Smith of Australia surely holds the world’s most astounding result for an apiary. According to Bill Winner, Beekeeper Services Manager, Capilano Honey Company, “We can confirm the average production of 346 kilograms (762 lbs) per hive from 460 hives. (This is almost twice the Aebi claim to fame, and it is an average from hundreds of colonies, not just one hive's unique production.) The beekeeper’s name was Bob Smith from Manjimup, Western Australia. The honey was Karri. The year was 1954.” Mr. Winner adds: “This figure is confirmed by R. Manning with a reference to a journal highlighting a box titled World Record in Honey in 1954."

#2 ·
Hahaha! Hey thats what it said. Dont know if its true or not but i looked those karri trees that he supposedly got the honey from and it said they bloom twice a year and go crazy after a fire. I'll bet Mr. Bob Smith decided to go light him a match before the honey season.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I get a few 200-300lb hives in an area with just widespread eucalyptus. Aebi's record was also on eucalyptus. So it does not seem so far fetched that bees in a eucalyptus forest could get to that average by a master beekeeper. I see eucalyptus trees here that drip nectar and the street underneath is sticky wet in the right conditions. A beekeeper in Australia was murdered for his honey crop.

#5 ·
I got a personal best, thats a world record in my backyard, of 5 pounds of honey from one of my three hives this year....none from the other two :popcorn:

Nothing special - just let the girls do what they do. Its pure 100% honey too. Im pretty proud. Yup.

I did murder three bees this year by accident - one on my bare foot, one on my wrist, and one on my neck....so there numbers were a bit down. :shhhh:

#8 ·
I got a personal best, thats a world record in my backyard, of 5 pounds of honey from one of my three hives this year....none from the other two :popcorn:

Nothing special - just let the girls do what they do. Its pure 100% honey too. Im pretty proud.
I'd be thrilled if I could match your average! Need to seed a lot of open land with wildflowers this fall.

#18 ·
Its talking about a calendar year. Im pretty sure thats understood. It says the year was 1954. What i find even more surprising than Rob Smiths record is A.I. Roots record of only 302 lbs. He held this record for over 80 years. 300+ lbs is not that hard to do. Ive done it several times already. Another member here says he gets 600 lbs every now and then.

#19 ·
My deeps have been running 70+ either way my point was simple, more than not possible... I do have haves that make over 200 regularly.... but 700+ for 400+ hives
I got deleted for "profanity" which I didn't type.... so its official just bull......

Gotta hate politial correctness from liberals

#20 ·
You don't know the leanings of those who are responsible for this forum. Use of foul language is not allowed on beesource. It has nothing to do w/ being politically correct, it has to do w/ being polite and writing as if your young child is reading what you wrote.

#21 ·
Amen Mark.
sigh...and I thought 175 pounds from one of my hives here in SE Missouri was cause for celebration... well, I'll celebrate anyway, as I've never had that happen before, even when in the midst of alfalfa fields in Kansas or Oklahoma.
Regards,
Steven

#22 ·
I plan on beating that record soon. Just not exactly sure when. With all the crimson clover and wildflowers that I have planted....They ought to have the opportunity to make all a hive can possibly make...haha

My best ever was with one hive that consistently produced 400lb per year for 5 years straight...meanest hive of bees I ever had...but they just could not get away from a flood.

#23 ·
What I fond interesting is that so many people get their hackles up over such a report. Why can't we simply take it as trivia and move on? "Oh, that's nice. Good for him."

Whether someone has The Worlds Record of Honey Production matters very little to me personally. I don't know why it matters so much to others. Why do people seem to feel threatened by a 60 year old report?

#25 ·
With respect, my father never did light a match before the honey season. You may be interested to know that the Karri trees in Western Australia only flower every 7 years. My father was a hard working man who earned the title of World Record for honey production in 1954 which was the result of the flowering Karri trees. His name was Robert (Rob) Smith. I was quite upset to read a post degrading that achievement. He was also awarded a Diploma from Apimondia for his extensive study of bees over many years to the betterment of apiarists around the world. Should you ever be in this part of the world I suggest you take the time to visit the Karri Forests in the South West of Australia. They are truly magnificent trees. Posted for your information and others who may be interested. My father died in 1981 - a man respected by all who knew him.

#26 ·
With respect, my father never did light a match before the honey season (ref post from dfortune August 2012). You may be interested to know that the Karri trees in Western Australia only flower every 7 years. My father was a hard working man who earned the title of World Record for honey production in 1954 which was the result of the flowering Karri trees. His name was Robert (Rob) Smith. I was quite upset to read a post degrading that achievement. He was also awarded a Diploma from Apimondia for his extensive study of bees over many years to the betterment of apiarists around the world. Should you ever be in this part of the world I suggest you take the time to visit the Karri Forests in the South West of Australia. They are truly magnificent trees. Posted for your information and others who may be interested. My father died in 1981 - a man respected by all who knew him.

#27 ·
Thanks JMR very interesting. Was he migratory? And could you explain just how the crop was harvested, ie, did he wait till it was capped, take some off and put the boxes back for more, or just how was it done? Also what time frame did the flow last for?

#28 ·
Yes my father was a migratory beekeeper. He travelled from as far south of the State of Western Australia around Pemberton/Manjimup in the Karri Forests to the Goldfield in the North East of the State around Coolgardie - some 800klms apart and areas in between at different times of the year. As far as I can remember the cone frames were taken from the hive, cap tops taken off with his hot knife and put straight in the extractor. I cannot remember how long the hives were left in the Karri Forest - several months at least, but interestingly this year has been an exceptional one. You may be interested to read more at http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-26/beekeepers-rejoice-in-full-karri-forrest-bloom/7438538. Thank you for your response.

#30 ·
I can only imagine what it would be like standing in an apiary of over 400 hives in the process of collecting and drying enough nectar to produce over 700 pounds of honey. The sound of so much activity would surely be loud enough to drown out even the loudest of the naysayers.

Congrats to your Dad.

Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.