Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: World Record Honey Crop

Amen Mark.
    sigh...and I thought 175 pounds from one of my hives here in SE Missouri was cause for celebration... well, I'll celebrate anyway, as I've never had that happen before, even when in the midst of alfalfa fields in Kansas or Oklahoma.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

I plan on beating that record soon. Just not exactly sure when. With all the crimson clover and wildflowers that I have planted....They ought to have the opportunity to make all a hive can possibly make...haha

My best ever was with one hive that consistently produced 400lb per year for 5 years straight...meanest hive of bees I ever had...but they just could not get away from a flood.
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

What I fond interesting is that so many people get their hackles up over such a report. Why can't we simply take it as trivia and move on? "Oh, that's nice. Good for him."

Whether someone has The Worlds Record of Honey Production matters very little to me personally. I don't know why it matters so much to others. Why do people seem to feel threatened by a 60 year old report?
    "Dude! Don't over think this! We're just cookin' hot dogs here...". Mark Berninghausen

Could you pinch the queen in half your hives and combine with queen right hives to near double your production per hive?

With respect, my father never did light a match before the honey season. You may be interested to know that the Karri trees in Western Australia only flower every 7 years. My father was a hard working man who earned the title of World Record for honey production in 1954 which was the result of the flowering Karri trees. His name was Robert (Rob) Smith. I was quite upset to read a post degrading that achievement. He was also awarded a Diploma from Apimondia for his extensive study of bees over many years to the betterment of apiarists around the world. Should you ever be in this part of the world I suggest you take the time to visit the Karri Forests in the South West of Australia. They are truly magnificent trees. Posted for your information and others who may be interested. My father died in 1981 - a man respected by all who knew him.

With respect, my father never did light a match before the honey season (ref post from dfortune August 2012). You may be interested to know that the Karri trees in Western Australia only flower every 7 years. My father was a hard working man who earned the title of World Record for honey production in 1954 which was the result of the flowering Karri trees. His name was Robert (Rob) Smith. I was quite upset to read a post degrading that achievement. He was also awarded a Diploma from Apimondia for his extensive study of bees over many years to the betterment of apiarists around the world. Should you ever be in this part of the world I suggest you take the time to visit the Karri Forests in the South West of Australia. They are truly magnificent trees. Posted for your information and others who may be interested. My father died in 1981 - a man respected by all who knew him.

Thanks JMR very interesting. Was he migratory? And could you explain just how the crop was harvested, ie, did he wait till it was capped, take some off and put the boxes back for more, or just how was it done? Also what time frame did the flow last for?

Yes my father was a migratory beekeeper. He travelled from as far south of the State of Western Australia around Pemberton/Manjimup in the Karri Forests to the Goldfield in the North East of the State around Coolgardie - some 800klms apart and areas in between at different times of the year. As far as I can remember the cone frames were taken from the hive, cap tops taken off with his hot knife and put straight in the extractor. I cannot remember how long the hives were left in the Karri Forest - several months at least, but interestingly this year has been an exceptional one. You may be interested to read more at http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-2...-bloom/7438538. Thank you for your response.

I tip my hat to your father. Apparently he knew what he was doing and had an amazing set up. Thanks for sharing.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, not trying the no treatment anymore

I can only imagine what it would be like standing in an apiary of over 400 hives in the process of collecting and drying enough nectar to produce over 700 pounds of honey. The sound of so much activity would surely be loud enough to drown out even the loudest of the naysayers.

Congrats to your Dad.

Alex

Good article you linked JMR. Years ago, I watched a short film about Aussie migratory beekeepers following the flow with huge road trains, including a trailer that was the extracting shed. These guys were away from home for months. It was an awesome film, pretty old, I wanted to watch it again recently but couldn't find it, maybe you know of it?

Thank you for your responses. I have been delighted with the interest shown. Regarding the short film about Aussie migratory beekeepers - no I do not recall this film but would be interested to view it if anyone should come across it. My father had at times, 3 other men working with him, in particular when he was moving the hives from one location to another. He would drive the main truck with the hives and also towing the living caravan (sometimes two or more trips required), another of the men would drive the landcruiser towing the extractor van - these trips also required huge water tanks to be transported to the location. On arrival at the site (particularly in the goldfields) the water tanks had to be filled with water transported in 44 gallon drums - large corks would then be placed on top of the water so that the bees could drink without fear of drowning in the water.

This may be the short film you are referring to - it was of beekeepers on the Eastern side of Australia in 1947 - all very interesting. http://www.myromanapartment.com/thro...g-documentary/

Thanks JMR that's a good one, but the one I'd like to find is of big road trains loaded with hives, the hives seem to stay on the trailers permanently. After your description I wondered if it may even have been your Dad, or probably someone he would have known.

However I've had quite a search for it, I think it has disappeared or at least not on the net.

Thanks for sharing JMR!! I find this fascinating. Next time down under I'm making a point to see the Karri trees. My dad kept bees in the blue mountains when he was a youngster before moving to Canada where him and I keep bees now. I'm a dual citizen and often dream of moving there to keep bees where you don't get months of -20c And there are no varroa mites.

A tip of my veil to your father JMR. J

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12