Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default World Record Honey Crop

From wikipedia. Whats this guys secret!!!

"However, a Mr. Rob Smith of Australia surely holds the world’s most astounding result for an apiary. According to Bill Winner, Beekeeper Services Manager, Capilano Honey Company, “We can confirm the average production of 346 kilograms (762 lbs) per hive from 460 hives. (This is almost twice the Aebi claim to fame, and it is an average from hundreds of colonies, not just one hive's unique production.) The beekeeper’s name was Bob Smith from Manjimup, Western Australia. The honey was Karri. The year was 1954.” Mr. Winner adds: “This figure is confirmed by R. Manning with a reference to a journal highlighting a box titled World Record in Honey in 1954."

Default Re: World Record Honey Crop

Hahaha! Hey thats what it said. Dont know if its true or not but i looked those karri trees that he supposedly got the honey from and it said they bloom twice a year and go crazy after a fire. I'll bet Mr. Bob Smith decided to go light him a match before the honey season.

I get a few 200-300lb hives in an area with just widespread eucalyptus. Aebi's record was also on eucalyptus. So it does not seem so far fetched that bees in a eucalyptus forest could get to that average by a master beekeeper. I see eucalyptus trees here that drip nectar and the street underneath is sticky wet in the right conditions. A beekeeper in Australia was murdered for his honey crop.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-12-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: language

Finally, a believer. i also get 200-300 lbs from single hives with no large amount of special shrubs around me. Just a lot of variety.

I got a personal best, thats a world record in my backyard, of 5 pounds of honey from one of my three hives this year....none from the other two

Nothing special - just let the girls do what they do. Its pure 100% honey too. Im pretty proud. Yup.

I did murder three bees this year by accident - one on my bare foot, one on my wrist, and one on my neck....so there numbers were a bit down.

Here in the St. Lawrence Valley of NY 200 to 300 lb crops were not uncommon back in the 50s and 60s.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

762 lb average X 460 hives = 350,520 lbs.

I'm with most of the responders, I would like to know how these bees were being helped out?????

Quote Originally Posted by Kelbor View Post
    I got a personal best, thats a world record in my backyard, of 5 pounds of honey from one of my three hives this year....none from the other two

Nothing special - just let the girls do what they do. Its pure 100% honey too. Im pretty proud.
    I'd be thrilled if I could match your average! Need to seed a lot of open land with wildflowers this fall.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Quote Originally Posted by dfortune View Post
    Finally, a believer. i also get 200-300 lbs from single hives with no large amount of special shrubs around me. Just a lot of variety.
    You two better read closer, it says 762lb average for 400 + hives..... thats at least 9 deeps full per hive...

Your a little off there buddy. It would be nearly 14 deeps at 55lbs of honey per deep.

How much honey do you get out of your deeps? 85 lbs? I don't think so.

Cool Re: World Record Honey Crop

It's called juicing your hives. Just open the barrel just out front of the hives, and watch the bees go. NOT saying I've tried it. We get super hives every once in a while that produces 600+ lb, but that is 1in20 hives in the yard, not an avg.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    If you run them in 8 frames in ten frame equipment you can do it.

Impossible, 10 frame deeps hold 50-60lbs of honey.

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    Well, I don't really see how you can get more honey from 8 frames than you can from 9 frames, but I guess you must do it regularly enough to have some idea.

How often does a deep frame yield 10 lbs of honey?

Michael Palmer has production approaching 200lb/hive in a calendar year. If he counted his production in a fiscal year Oct 1 to Oct 1 he could produce crops approaching 400 lbs. And this is w/ leaving his colonies heavy enough w/ honey, and supplemental feeding when necassary, to overwinter w/out starving. If he took honey the way Honey Householder does I imagine that would be another 120 lbs in the fiscal year, or 520lbs. So, in a really good year I can see how it may be possible that our Australian beekeeper could have done it.

I wonder how it was verified?

Who cares, it was a goal to set a record. The bees are probably dead now.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Heck, that was 60 years ago, the beekeeper is probably dead. I'll gaurantee the bees are.

Its talking about a calendar year. Im pretty sure thats understood. It says the year was 1954. What i find even more surprising than Rob Smiths record is A.I. Roots record of only 302 lbs. He held this record for over 80 years. 300+ lbs is not that hard to do. Ive done it several times already. Another member here says he gets 600 lbs every now and then.

My deeps have been running 70+ either way my point was simple, more than not possible... I do have haves that make over 200 regularly.... but 700+ for 400+ hives
    I got deleted for "profanity" which I didn't type.... so its official just bull......

Gotta hate politial correctness from liberals

You don't know the leanings of those who are responsible for this forum. Use of foul language is not allowed on beesource. It has nothing to do w/ being politically correct, it has to do w/ being polite and writing as if your young child is reading what you wrote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast