Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

vid on identifying ameracan foul brood

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  swamprat 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Instead of spraying the bees w/ wasp spray to kill them, simply throw the frames w/ bees on them into the fire while burning the equipment.

The deep frame was a classic example of unhealthy looking brood comb. Really shotgun looking pattern of capped brood cells w/ that darkish look to it. Often there is an oil on damp pavement sort of look to the capped cells. Sunken caps w/ the perferated caps as was pointed out in the video should make one suspicious enough to investigate what is in those cells.

I didn't see where I could find the video of how he burned the hive. I wondered how he was going to burn all of that plastic. That's one of the problems w/ plastic frames. What to do w/ them should they become infected w/ AFB. Burning them is often prohibited. Deep burial is recommended.

Thanks for sharing Dwayne. I bet if you had gotten your nose down closer to the comb and inhaled deeply you would have been able to smell the odor of AFB. It is distinctly different from other smells. Even if your nose has been burned out by cow manure.

#3 ·
A helpful video. How long does it take for the larva to become ropey? Days, or weeks? I noticed he was opening some cells that were white, and not roping out with the toothpick. In a few cells with the ones that did rope out he was able to stretch that rope out 2-3 inches or more.
So, if a hive has AFB is a diagnosis field test with a match or tooth pick something that is positive or negative right away or does it take a long process of decomposing before that indicator is present?

#4 ·
If you see ropeyness, that's a positive indicator.

To the trained eye, the experienced eye, there is no need for the rope test. An oily look to capped brood cells, sunken caps, perferated caps w/ a brown viscous liquid is to me all the evidence needed to toss that hive in the burn pit or barrel, along w/ all of the honey.

Dwayne provided us a good illustration of the disease, but, that hive has been breaking down w/ the disease for quite some time, perhaps ever since Spring. I hope he has gone through all of his other hives looking at each and every brood comb in each hive looking for even one cell of AFB. They have been exposed. I would be somewhat surprised if there are no others in that yard which are not infected. It could be so, but he aught to check. When he isn't busy milking cows of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.