Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Neighbor Throwing Down the Gaunlet On My Bees

When my very O/C neighbour got upset about a swarm in a tree in his yard, I did not say they were my bees (could have been from anywhere) but obviously he was convinced the nearest hive, mine, was the origin (and it might have been...no one saw where they came from). I was able to quickly call one of our two local Master Beekeepers (if it had been a weekday I could also have given him the local state apiculturalist's number), who came to retrieve the swarm, which within the hour it took for her to arrive had dissipated. I left him with a contact list for any future incidents.

There is also a list of local beekeepers who will come retrieve swarms.

I too will have to find an outyard to expand my hobby. I don't mind that but I do want to keep one hive here at home as I love to watch the bees.

Which is all by way of saying....in these incidents never admit it is or may be your bees unless there is concrete evidence it WAS your bees, but offer all the arm's length help possible as a gesture of good will. Neutrality is important...suggest remedies that the homeowner can take if possible, and offer to find them help for swarm retrieval if you can. Sympathize but do not apologize.
    Last edited by WesternWilson; 09-12-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Haha, I love all the BS stories and excuses to give people. I like to BS every now and then when I'm doing a removal. But usually I stick to the facts. I essentially offer a free honeybee class while I do the removal. People are always fascinated, and want to tell their friends about me (and my service!).

Anyway, I also enjoy the life of beekeeping in the "gray" area. I live in an HOA that does not have any restrictions on beekeeping. However, you can't keep seemingly harmless animals like chickens. They have a clause built into the HOA rules that anything considered "unsafe" can be required to be fixed/removed. Weeds in the yard fall under the "unsafe" category.

So I'm running a small beekeeping service company out of my back yard (also illegal by the rule of "no home businesses"). I have the full support of my neighbors. As of last night's removal I'm up to 7 colonies out back, with at least one more by the end of the week. I'm working to plant tall thick foliage along the back fence to deter nosy noses. My property backs up to a power line easement, and then a wide strip of woods. Technically, it's private property managed by the HOA, so technically no one is ever supposed to be back there to see anything. So if anyone reports me I can just ask why they were trespassing, and peaking through my fence.

Currently there is no mention at all in my HOA rules against beekeeping, however, there are none for it either. There's also no rule about keeping a milk cow out back, but I know that would never fly! I do have resources lined up in case they ever do decide to bust my chops and make me move the hives. Since there is no mention in the rules about beekeeping at all, I suppose it falls into that gray area, where the HOA can make up a rule on the fly.
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

I find it amusing when people recommend the use of the nuclear option if approached by neighbors that do not want bees around. Sometimes relationships and neighborhood dynamics come first.
    This is how I view it, If they are worth being friends with then they will understand a simple a polite explanation. If they don't then they aren't worth having any kind of peaceful relationship with anyway. I give everyone I meet a chance to be friends but if they don't get "it" then I'm not going wast time trying to accommodate their mental problems.

In this specific situation I would go over and check out the situation. Confirm that they are bees, if possible confirm they are your bees. Heck, I would even remove the insects (whatever they where)

And that is where the nice acts would end. If that isn't enough to make your neighbor happy then he is a mean little creature (like most neighbors who complain) and any further attempt to make peace with him will just hurt you and add to his power. Meanwhile you will have spent a couple hours on his property giving you a good chance to find out whatever things he has that he would rather hide.

So in time your kind words and a other problems of their lives may take care of this problem.
    Particularly if you add to those problems.

If not, you may be able to hire Aerindel to go over and crush their Adam's Apples under his thumbs.
    LOL, that would leave finger-prints.......its their spirit that I like to crush......

Seriously though, you could hire a private investigator to follow him around for a week. Particularly if the investigator "lets" himself be seen. There are few things more frightening to a modern american than having a complete stranger repeatedly point a camera at you as you go about your day.

Most "complainers" are really pretty small minded and cowardly people who rely on the politeness of others and the general philosophy "lets all get along" that pervades our society to get away with what they do. Presented with a strong, calculated opposition they usually crumble.

I don't know about you but I'd think twice about taking advice about neighbors from someone who lives in Montana.

FWIW the neighbour that gave me grief is truly obsessive compulsive, his yard and home are always in showpiece condition, and my feeling is that he finds anything unplanned or spontaneous terrifying and upsetting...he's a big, powerful man who I think has used bullying to keep himself safe (he comes from a hard background, but has done very well). It is how he gets his needs met.

Once I got over the initial upset, I realized that no amount of reassurance or honey would "keep him sweet". He is just an irritable guy and I am not going to change that. So since he is just going to blow from time to time, I figured I might as well relax, keep my one or two hives as per the bylaw (although like many places, the bylaw is somewhat...ummmmm...interpret-able) and deal with the tantrums one by one. Meanwhile, I will do my best to get along with the gentleman, not push his obvious buttons, and scout out a couple of places for beeyards. I need to expand, can't do it here, and outyards give me a place to go if I have to relocate the bees entirely.

Did you bring over any honey or other bee products (mead always works!) ?? works as a peace offering...For all they know, it could be the presidents bees! Tell em to call the white house!

Quote Originally Posted by natureboy68 View Post
    Did you bring over any honey or other bee products (mead always works!) ?? works as a peace offering...For all they know, it could be the presidents bees! Tell em to call the white house!
    Call the white house...best suggestion in the whole thread!

Sue him for defamation and filing a false report, that should shut him up pretty quick.

Admit no fault. Try to help. Be reasonable. Be the first to walk away peacefully. Under no circumstances move your bees. I have the psycho neighbors form **** and the more you give them what they demand the more they want! They only get worse! (I have been hit over the back of the head with a 2 by 4 in my own driveway because thier dog bit a neighbor child which I witnessed and they tried to choke my child... we eventually had to put up security cameras to prove we werent doing the things they said we were and to prove that they were)
    Irrational people cannot be reasoned with. And they are too selfish to admit their own falut in anything that happens to them.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Monica View Post
    Admit no fault. Try to help. Be reasonable. Be the first to walk away peacefully. Under no circumstances move your bees. I have the psycho neighbors form **** and the more you give them what they demand the more they want! They only get worse! (I have been hit over the back of the head with a 2 by 4 in my own driveway because thier dog bit a neighbor child which I witnessed and they tried to choke my child... we eventually had to put up security cameras to prove we werent doing the things they said we were and to prove that they were)
    Irrational people cannot be reasoned with. And they are too selfish to admit their own falut in anything that happens to them.

Good luck!
    Shotguns were made for people like that... just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Bens-Bees View Post
    Shotguns were made for people like that... just sayin'
    Exactly why I said to my husband "Either we buy some land and move or I'm buying a gun!"
    We now have 110 acres and hopefully the house will be done this fall! PEACE AT LAST!

Aerindal - I'm guessing the best defense is a good offense?

People that live in Montana and people that live in Texas have a thing or 2 in common.

and Joe, well you do have a point!
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Aerindal - I'm guessing the best defense is a good offense?
    Well, ideally you could just set back and watch him bang his fists against your castle wall but few people have truly defensible properties these days.

I used to keep my hottest hive by the back gate. My trailer was safe.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12