Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Advice please.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  philodice 
#1 ·
I am a newbie who needs advice/critique of my actions thus far.

I have 2 hives. One really strong hive and the other much weaker. They both started off at the same pace but then about 4-5 weeks ago I noticed the second hive having problems.

I moved a frame of brood over from the stronger hive while waiting for a new queen I ordered. At this time I also noticed evidence of wax moths. I removed the wax moth larvae I saw on the bottom of the hive and webs-even removed one comb that was mildly affected (comb only-it had no honey stored) and closed the bees down to a tighter space by bringing the folllower board more to the front. 2 weeks ago I requeened after killing the first queen. Went in to check yesterday and could find no evidence of the new queen or new larva or brood.

Can I get a critique of what I have done or should do....since it is getting late in the season, I am not certain at this point whether to try and requeen again or just combine the weaker hive with the stronger hive for the winter. If the best thing to do is just combine the two hives, is the newspaper method the way to go (ie hole in a follower board and this hole covered with newspaper)? Any thoughts, advice, etc would be appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
are you sure the new queen isnt there? How much longer before temps start tanking for winter? If you've got time I'd hold off a little and see if in fact that new queen is still there, just taking her time getting started.

The other question I'd ask is if you combine can the original hive support the big influx of new bees?

Do you have time to requeen?

are you feeding?

are you in a dearth?

what kind of stores are coming...

what kind of stores do they have.

#5 ·
no not absolutely certain. just didn't see her or evidence of brood. so I was gonna wait a bit and just see if she got a slow start. i have 5-6 weeks before the first average frost.

the strong hive has filled out 25 of the 28 bars so given the low number of bees in the weak hive i feel as if the strong hive could support them.

i don't feel if this queen has failed I would have to requeen as the weak hive has little stores and right now is building no new comb. the strong hive stopped taking feed 5 weeks ago. the weak hive i have never stopped feeding-daily they take 100% of what I put in there---we have had another year of drought and they is still plenty of pollen out for them but of course time is a concern before the temperatures drop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.