Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

new personal best!

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  mulesii 
#1 ·
Just finished extracting my 2 hives, and ended up with a 260.5# average for a total of 521#. This is by far the best year I've had in my 10 yrs of being a beek. I have our drought to thank for it though. it caused my neighboring alfalfa fields to head out early, and with the drought, the farmers left it in hopes it would grow after the first cutting, so it stayed in bloom most of the summer. If this becomes a normal year, i'll definately have to jump to a motorized extractor in the future. PP

#11 ·
Mbeck, yes I admit I'm a stickbow shooter. Use a longbow for hunting, leagues, 3d shoots. in my hand, it's the ultimate weapon for me.
As far as more hives...last summer I jumped in with a guy near me and ran 3000 hives. he was/is retiring, so wanted to see if it was for me. I found it tyo be extremely enjoyable and rewarding, BUT I aslo found it EXTREMELY physical work for one in their 50"s. Twenty years ago I'd have bought him out, but at my age I'll stick to being a school teacher. We did end up with over 200,000# though, majority of which was sold to Sioux Bee at if I remember right around 1.70/pound. PP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.