Default Finally ordered an extractor!

After looking at extractors for the last 6 weeks, I finally ordered a Mann Lake 18/9 extractor today. Way more than I need for my 3 hive operation but with a little luck, I hope to have 10 hives next year. Can't wait to get it and the hot knife and bottler/strainers to give this a try. Hopefully it will go well!!

Default Re: Finally ordered an extractor!

Judging from my first experience, it doesn't necessarily go like you plan. I wasn't very good with the electric knife. I made the comb wavy and gouged in places. The work is hot and sticky. But it is very satisfying when done. I hope you have a great experience. You'll mess up (we all do) but keep the faith. It will turn out great!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Greg, nothing has gone how I planned it so I'm sure you are right and this won't be any different. I am learning not to sweat the small stuff and try to learn something every time I work with the bees. They know what to do much better than I do!

Great selection. I ordered a Mann Lake 18/9 this summer and extracted 10 frames this year. I also am a first year bee keeper with 2 hives to start. I did a lot of research, and decided to start with a radial. I got a manual crank, and will upgrade to a motorized later. The frames were easy to hand crank, and had my 12 year old son do the turning. It worked perfectly as we stood on the attached wood boards shipped with it to keep it from walking. I am very happy with my selection. With the free shipping and the low price, it was perfect. East to clean. I put the frames back on the hives for the bees to clean, and in 2 days they had built up the comb to the frame edge very neatly. I was worried about this because my capping knife and especially the cappings scratcher had pretty much destroyed the comb. I got 30 pounds of honey or 3 pounds per medium frame. A fall flow is in progress right now. Good luck!

I did the same as you.....ordered the manual crank model and will order the motor next Spring. I will only have 10 frames to extract, so I can crank that long. Did you use a hot knife or a cold knife? Hopefully I won't tear up the comb too badly.

I used a hot knife. Since this was first year comb a lot of it did not project beyond the frame edges. So, I had to use the scratcher more than I wanted to. But it worked out great, because the bees were prompt about redoing it neatly.

Ordered yesterday and shipped today......talk about great service!!! Thank you Mann Lake!!!

Sorry, but something isn't adding up here three hives and only ten frames to extract?

I bought that same extractor and close to a thousand frames later doing great. I use a seraded butcher knife no need for heat it does great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrobisr View Post
    Sorry, but something isn't adding up here three hives and only ten frames to extract?
    What doesn't add up? The fact that I didn't want to buy a 2 frame extractor and then have to buy another one next year? I wanted it to be a one time purchase and many of the long time beekeepers warned me not to buy a small extractor the first time. I think I will be very happy with it and I will be ready for future years when I have more hives. Let me know if you need to borrow it!!

I think Mrobisr was wondering about the fact that you harvested only 10 frames of honey out of three hives. I don't think he/she was questioning why you went with the size of extractor that you did. As for the frames/hive ratio....I, too, had three hives this harvest season but I only harvested three supers from one of them...the other two colonies were rebuilding after too much swarming in the spring and didn't produce a spring surplus.

Congrats on the extractor purchase! Enjoy!

Ed

I wish I had more honey to harvest, but I am not going to take too much......it will be a long Winter. I also had problems with losing two queens, etc, etc. Next year will be better!

We found that the hot knife works best went running 9 frames in a 10 frame super. This allows the bees to buid out beyond the edges of the frames so the knife can easily slice off the protrution.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

John, I will probably try the 9 frames in a 10 frame super next year. I have been reading alot of comments about the 9 frames.

The extractor just showed up.......and its big!! I think it will be a few years before I outgrow this unit!!

Once again, how can you beat that for Service....thanks Mann Lake!!

Sounds about right to me, the way my year is going.

Leonards..... Next year try running 8 frames in one of your 10 frame supers. I run 8 frames in all of mine, have for years. They really draw them out and fill them. You don't need a pick, uncapping with a hot knife is a breeze. Only drawback, you MUST use drawn previously extracted comb. Don't use foundation or you will have a real mess.

cchoganjr

Thanks for the suggestion Cleo. I will give that a try next year.......on one hive anyway.......since I only have one drawn super.