Default Charlie B - Bee killer

Now I know why my good buddy Charlie gave me a deal on telescoping covers. He is so bothered that I beat him in his swarm baiting competition. Charlie, if you can't stand the heat don't start those threads.
    We both keep bees in foggy exposures and he had figured out how many bees die on these covers on a wet morning. They fly in and land upside down in the condensed fog puddle on top of the covers, and die of exposure stuck upside down.
    I count 20 on three hives this morning alone. Any suggestions on solving this problem? Maybe I will switch out to my new rough redwood western covers.

Default Re: Charlie B - Bee killer

Olly,

From what I saw when I used them the body count was allot less. Maybe because of the high wind they blew off. It seemed more bees were dead the first morning of a rain but were less the next day if it rained continually.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

It's not the wet this is killing them it is the poison Charlie impregnated them with before selling them to you.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    They fly in and land upside down ....Any suggestions on solving this problem?
    Turn the hives upside down?
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Or, at laest, the covers.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Build you're covers with a slope so the water runs off. Or crown the metal before you staple it on so its high in the middle. Sloped they would still stack OK if you alternate directions. Provided you make them all the same.
    Dan

put a towel over the cover,, see what happens..

To stymie Charlie's plan to crush my honey crop, I glue gunned on some shade cloth. Tomorrow morning will tell. Stay tuned.
    I figure Charlie owes me a taco lunch for my efforts to fix what he sold me.

That's the goofiest thing I've ever seen! You have too much time on your hands.

Heating pad! Put it under the cover - it will keep the roof warmer than air around and thus prevent condensation. I guess, you would also need a small electrical power station to power all those heating pads. The good thing is that the heating pads could potentially help in winter time! Good luck, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    The good thing is that the heating pads could potentially help in winter time! Good luck, Sergey
    He's way to cheap for that. He talked me down to practically nothing when selling him those covers. And then he goes and paints them that awful "poop brown" color. The bees are dying from embarrassment, not drowning.

Evil Charlie has been thwarted at almost no cost in his attempt to stomp me out as competition as another local honey producer. It is a wet and soggy morning, the bees are flying, and my no cost shade cloth covers have protected my bees from dying.