Default Experience with bucket feeders- screens or holes in side of plug?

ANyone out there use bucket feeders? What do you find works best- the screened plugs or the plugs with just a few holes in the side of the plug (which appears how the newer plugs are now made).
    karla

Default Re: Experience with bucket feeders- screens or holes in side of plug?

I was using plastic buckets with holes but I found that the holes were hard to unplug once they propolised them. Now I use 1/2 gal mason jars with metal lids with only two of three holes. (Easier to clean out holes in metal). I also use 1/8" brass tubes soldered through the metal lid. Works great!

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=2841638
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Default Re: Experience with bucket feeders- screens or holes in side of plug?

Have only used the 1 and 2 gallon buckets with screened plugs. They've worked well for the few years I've been using them. Haven't seen a plug with holes only yet.

Even with nucs, I feed them with one gallon feeders with screen plugs. Can't afford to waste time filling and refilling mason jars. A short soak in alcohol cleans the propolis.

Wayne