Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Sharpie Poster Paint Markers for queen marking?

10K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  AstroBee 
#1 ·
Does anyone use Sharpie Poster Paint Markers for marking their queens? I've seen these, when doing internet searches for paint markers that might work well for queen marking, especially since they are water based, acid free, opaque paints, and come in, "white", "fluorescent yellow", "fluorescent blue", "fluorescent green", and "fluorescent pink". I was hoping to find someone who has already tried these markers and has some experienced input. I've been using the Uni-Posca markers, and they work quite well, but thought the fluorescent colors might be even easier to spot in a crowded hive.

#5 · (Edited)
To those who have already tried these - thanks for sharing your experiences, here, in this thread.

I'm thinking of using this Sharpie Poster Paint Medium Point Fluorescent Pink Marker for next year -->

I'm thinking that using acid free, water based, opaque paint, especially in fluorescent colors, may be a step up from non-fluorescent colors.

---
They also come in fluorescent yellow, fluorescent blue, and fluorescent green. I don't thing I've ever heard of fluorescent white.

#11 ·
To those who have already tried these - thanks for sharing your experiences, here, in this thread.

I'm thinking of using this Sharpie Poster Paint Medium Point Fluorescent Pink Marker for next year -->

I'm thinking that using acid free, water based, opaque paint, especially in fluorescent colors, may be a step up from non-fluorescent colors.
---
They also come in fluorescent yellow, fluorescent blue, and fluorescent green. I don't thing I've ever heard of fluorescent white.
The tip on these might be too coarse and get messy.
Otherwise they sound great.

Adam Finkelstein
www.vpqueenbees.com

P.S. Regarding Mike Palmer's post, I always manage to spill my paint...last season I got it all over my veil and shoes on a busy afternoon.
"Good Times!" :applause:

#7 ·
I was using a similar marker to the latex Sharpie earlier this summer. The fluorescent green was easy to spot but the paint just didn't last well. Two queens I marked twice with the latex and finally went back to testors to mark them last week. The latex just looked like it wore off gradually. Hoping the Sharpie brand lasts better.

#8 ·
AstroBee,
Do the oil-based markers take very long to dry? That's my largest concern whenever I look into using them. A lesser concern is if they have an odor that the bees take exception to, though still a concern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.